• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Clone staging on the production

Feruz

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.60
Hello everyone,

I am addressing you regarding the installation of clone staging on the production site and I have the following questions:

1. Indeed, after installing clone staging on the production site we can update the plugins on the cloned staging site or not?

2. The license of certain plugins for the production site is authorized only for this site and on the cloned site, is this license valid and can it be updated or not?

3. Or on the cloned site it is necessary to delete all the plugins which are authorized only the license for the site in production and consequently on the production site will not cause the problem?

Thanks for your answer.

1. Indeed, after installing clone staging on the production site we can update the plugins on the cloned staging site or not?
Sure, I don't see why not.

2. The license of certain plugins for the production site is authorized only for this site and on the cloned site, is this license valid and can it be updated or not?
I guess that would depend on the license terms. You'll have to ask to plugin creators get more information on their license terms. Some plugins may allow to be used on a sub domain as well.

3. Or on the cloned site it is necessary to delete all the plugins which are authorized only the license for the site in production and consequently on the production site will not cause the problem?
See my answer on your second question.

Hello Kaspar,

Thank you for your reply and for your support.

Ok, very good.

Next, I'd like to know about SSL. Since I don't use Let's Encrypt free SSL for the production site and I use a company's paid SSL, my question is, when I create the cloned staging site, will Plesk create Let's Encrypt free SSL for this cloned site or will it use my paid SSL ?

If Plesk creates Let's Encrypt free SSL for this cloned site, won't there be a problem with the production site ?

Thank you for your answer.

Next, I'd like to know about SSL. Since I don't use Let's Encrypt free SSL for the production site and I use a company's paid SSL, my question is, when I create the cloned staging site, will Plesk create Let's Encrypt free SSL for this cloned site or will it use my paid SSL ?
If no there is no existing paid SSL certificate already installed on the (sub) domain for the clone, a Let's Encrypt can be used. You might have to issue the Let's Encrypt manually.

If Plesk creates Let's Encrypt free SSL for this cloned site, won't there be a problem with the production site ?
No.

Hello Kaspar,

Thank you for your reply and for your support.

Ok, great.

Then I had another question about the indexation of the site on Google and other search platforms.

I use SEO plugins for search engines and my question is whether to leave these SEO plugins active or to deactivate them for the cloned staging site.

Then, to Internet users the staging site is not accessible, I read information like this (If you do not want your staging site to be accessible to the Internet users, do not register the newly added domain or subdomain name with a domain name registrar, or use an .htaccess file (on Linux hosting) to restrict access to it)

My question is why shouldn't I register my subdomain and my domain name is already registered with a domain name registrar and this subdomain (staging.example.com) will be created from my main domain example.com and I don't understand and this isn't contradictory to the conditions for creating a staging site with Plesk ?

What changes do we need to make to the .htaccess file to restrict it ?

Thank you for your answer.

Back