• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Installing SOAP (for PHP) without breaking Plesk?

A

ArmenR

Currently administering a system, and am having a rather difficult time gathering up what would be the most correct/proper and LEAST risky way to go about figuring this out.

Information gathered:

----> Plesk version: 9.3.0 CentOS 5 93091230.07
----> OS Version: CentOS release 5.4 (Final) (32-bit)
----> PHP Version: PHP 5.2.13 (cli) (built: Mar 2 2010 15:56:41)

I need to hear from the Plesk experts here how they believe I should install the PHP Module "SOAP" on this server. I was thinking "yum install php-soap", however this requires that my entire PHP environment - as well as MySQL packages - be upgraded. I'm afraid to upgrade all of that on Plesk Version 9.3.0, because I've learned from painful trail-and-error that Plesk breaks when even the most minute component of a software environment is not to its liking.

Any and all help or guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

These forums, by the way, are absolutely fantastic. I hope that I can contribute back as I learn more and more here.

Cheers!

Hi

Installing it via yum won't be a problem. Unfortunately I didn't find a php-soap version 5.2.13 in the centos repos because it's quite old.

Before you proceed to install it via yum and you have the atomic repo just add in /etc/yum.conf :

exclude=php*5.3*

Do a yum install php-soap and php will be upgraded to version 5.2.17. The php scripts should work on this version too as most of the php upgrades were done to fix bugs.

If mysql will also be updated just run the following commands :

mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair --optimize -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

Thank you SO much for this! This worked like a charm!! Because I was not upgrading PHP to 5.3.x, yum did not require that MySQL be updated as well -- so I didn't have to run the SQL commands for privileges/grants or for checks, however I'll save those in case sh*t hits the fan.

I will document and remember this. I'll also pass the knowledge on.

How were you able to determine or decide which version of PHP to permit/install with Plesk 9.3??

Same issue, different software package - SOAP install

Hi all

Im having the same issue but with different software configuration
----> Plesk version: 8.6.0
----> OS Version: CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
----> PHP Version: PHP 5.2.6 (built: May 2 2008 16:08:20)

Any thoughts is upgrading the plesk first 10.x or rebuild the php stack?

Help!!!!!!

thx
jason

I would update the OS version to 5.5 first, and then do PSA and then do PHP - php will be very easy but I would stay away from the Plesk 10.x builds for a little bit until they get more mature. Every install experience I have had with 10.x has gone very poorly (and there have been over a dozen).

The MySQL commands listed above are only needed when you are upgrading from 4.x to 5.x - since you are most likely on 5.x already since your already using php5 you dont need to do that. Upgrading MySQL in place is also no problem for plesk - php, mysql and apache are the most resiliant parts of Plesk and they almost never break it unless the install doesnt work at all.

I should also note that 5.2.x is no longer maintained and has been EOL'ed, so I would strongly suggest you start using 5.3. The only reason to stay on 5.2 would be if you need support for zend optimizer as that is depricated in 5.3 - otherwise upgrade upgrade upgrade....

Thank you. that is probably the least problematic. We need the Zend optimizer as we are using Magento on this host.

I will post up what happens shortly

Thanks for the quick and concise reply!

jason

thanks for checking in.. We havent upgraded yet.. Its a magento ecommerce site and a bit difficult to take
off line and not cause any issues with the ecoomerce.
What are your suggestions for this. Do you think i can just install the SOAP without upgrading the OS?
or is that required to do (and first)? thank you again for following up!
jason

Yeah, you can just install the soap module anytime you want and then do a graceful apache restart.

YOu can do php -v from the command line to ensure its working properly, and also do
php -i phpinfo | grep -i 'soap' to see if any of the soap modules are loaded.

Back