• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue plesk firewall 2.1.5-412 still has problems

I finally managed to get rid of the plesk firewall extension and to use ipset to manage by blacklists.
For that I ran an ssh session, copied plesk's initial firewall script and installed the ipset package.
cp /opt/psa/var/modules/firewall/firewall-active.sh /usr/local/bin/loadIPtables.sh apt -y install ipset
I then removed the plesk-firewall extension and added 2 iptables rules to the load script,
right after the "Start of /usr/sbin/iptables rules" section
apply_rule /usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m set --match-set blacklistedAddrs src -j DROP apply_rule /usr/sbin/iptables-A INPUT -m set --match-set blacklistedRanges src -j DROP
For the startup I use a simple cronjob
crontab -e @reboot /usr/local/bin/createIPsets.sh && /usr/local/bin/loadIPtables.sh
The createIPsets.sh commands is quite simple:
ipset create blacklistedRange hash:net ipset add blacklistedRange 46.184.40.0/24 . . . ipset create blacklistedAddrs hash:ip . . .
With this setup, I can change my blacklist sets without the need to change any iptables rules commands.
I just create a temporary ipset of the desired type like shown below and swap it in place with ipset swap command.
ipset create ipsetTMP hash:net ipset add ipsetTMP 46.184.40.0/24 ipset add ipsetTMP 11.222.33.0/24 ipset swap ipsetTMP blacklistedRange

Of course, I also need to update the startup script for my ipsets, so that they are created properly at boot.
With this setup, I regard my firewall issue as solved.

Back