• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Updates destroy settings made in IIS Manager

Bemoy

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2022
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.0.60
Maybe this is a beginner's question but when is the best opportunity to begin? Here it is:

I have a ASP.Net WebApp that was running well on a windows Server with Plesk Onyx. On this server I used Plesk to start and to manage SSL certificates (LetsEncrypt). By Remote Desktop, I used the IIS Manager to manage the Application Pool and its Identity (user). In Plesk, I defined 3 URLs for the same application and in IIS Manager I set the physical path on the same directory. All 3 URLs were assigned the same Application Pool.

Then I migrated my WebApp to another server with Plesk Obsidian (currently 18.0.60) . I had access problems with the user predefined by Plesk, so I defined a new user to run all WebApps ("WebAppUser"). This user also has its user date on the disk. I managed the rest - Application Pool with Identity "WebAppUser", physical path set to the same directory as I did on the old server with Onyx.

Now I realised that at times, Plesk resets all settings to its initlai values - I suppose afer updates that happened twice in trhe last weeks.

Here my questions:
  • How can I avoid resetting my changes made in IIS Manager - even after Plesk Updates?
As an alternative:
  • How can I set the Application Pool with Plesk means?
  • How can I define 3 different URLs for the same WebApp?

What specifically did you configure in the IIS manager that could not be configured in Plesk?

What specifically did you configure in the IIS manager that could not be configured in Plesk?
With IIS Manager ...
  1. ... I set the application root directory for all three URLs to the same physical directory on the server
  2. ... I defined the same Application Pool for all three URLs
  3. ... I specify a normal user defined by System Settings as the Identity (User) of this Application Pool
    Under this user I can log in, compile my Web Application and test it with IIS Express.
    Of course I set the appropriate access rights for the application root directory.

If I understand your needs correctly I think these things can be configured directly trough Plesk. (expect for your third point, which is only needed for your second point if I am not mistaken).

I set the application root directory for all three URLs to the same physical directory on the server
Depending on your need/preference you can either create a domain in Plesk and add additional domain aliases. Or you can create a primary domain (also known a subscription) and additional domains that share the same webspace (subscription) and let them configure them to use the same document root.

I defined the same Application Pool for all three URLs
If done what I descried above, you can select a dedicated Application Pool. Which will be shared by these domains only.

Back