• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Resolved Wordpress Advice

themidge

New Pleskian
Wordpress installations that were installed through the Plesk panel work amazingly well. They auto update and I don't have to change any settings to install a new theme or upload photos.

However, I have a couple of manually installed Wordpress sites that were moved from a different server. These don't work the same way. They don't auto update and if I want to upload anything or update a theme, I have to enable special write permissions for it to work. Is there an easy way to make them behave the same way? I have considered deleting them and then installing from Plesk and restoring the data and databases to them but I don't know if I'd do it properly!

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks in advance.

@themidge

In response to

I have considered deleting them and then installing from Plesk and restoring the data and databases to them but I don't know if I'd do it properly!

I have just written a post, which contains a point 5, with information and steps that can be taken to perform the relevant tasks properly.

See: https://talk.plesk.com/threads/ples...nt-under-another-customer.338161/#post-802515

With respect to your question

... These don't work the same way. They don't auto update and if I want to upload anything or update a theme, I have to enable special write permissions for it to work. Is there an easy way to make them behave the same way?

The answer is: yes, there should be, unless your Windows server has some peculiar user/right structure, in which case the solution will become very difficult and elaborate.

What you can do is: have a look at the user for those WP instances that do work properly and assign this user (with identical rights) to the troublesome group of WP instances.

However, I would not really recommend it: you probably "migrated" a lot of problems from the old server, it would be more wise to start with a clean slate (i.e. a fresh WP instance).

By the way, a small tip, you should not want to allow auto-updates: it often creates problems, all WordPress updates (WP, plugins, themes) are best tested first.

In short, I would recommend to deactivate the auto-update option (via Plesk or via a manual edit of wp-config.php).

Hope the above helps a bit!

Regards....

Once again, thanks for the response. Carried out the required actions and I now have five Wordpress installations performing as they should.

Back