• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question DNS for server hostname

shogunswb

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
I was doing an email health check on MXToolBox.com & it gave me an error that:

Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname.

On checking this it appears I have made a mistake with the server hostname which is: "domain.co.uk" whereas I should have named it something like "web.domain.co.uk"

I should mention that its a dedicated server with Centos 7 & the latest version of Plesk.

Both nameserver glue records from my hosting company for the domain I'm using are pointing to my dedicated server so:

ns1.domain.co.uk
ns2.domain.co.uk

My question is, if I change the server hostname to "web.domain.co.uk" do I also need to update the nameserver records to:

ns1.web.domain.co.uk
ns2.web.domain.co.uk

For some reason I just cannot work it through in my head & yes I know that the name servers should be different but I only have a single server.

Thanks

This isn't really a Plesk problem, but:
You need to setup rDNS.
If "web.domain.co.uk" is your real hostname then your IP would be 62.141.32.200
But 62.141.32.200 doesn't have a rDNS.
Better you contact your hosting provider.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I know its not really a Plesk problem but the question came about as a result of Plesk configuration.
I was just trying to be general with the server name but the actual Plesk hostname is:

anim8design.co.uk

The nameservers are set to ns1.anim8design.co.uk & ns2.anim8design.co.uk & the rdns resolves to 77.68.15.215
but if I change the Plesk hostname to web.anim8design.co.uk do I also need to change the nameservers to match or do I add an A record for web.anim8design.co.uk pointing to 77.68.15.215.

This is a problem with mxtoolbox. They expect mail to be on a subdomain even though there is nothing in the relevant RFCs that would support such an requirement.

Its a problem that mxtoolbox highlights & it wasn't a problem on my old server with a reputable IP, but I have been forced to migrate to a new server with a new IP that is part of a block of IP's on a blacklist that I cannot get it removed from.
I have managed to get the IP mitigated by MS but mail from this new server is still ending up in Spam with the likes of Yahoo etc & one of the possible reasons is Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname.
Just trying everything I can to get mail to the inbox.

Back