• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

1and1 Dedicated Hosting

P

phatPhrog

If you are a 1and1 Dedicated Hosting account holder:

DO NOT: under any circumstances place your server in jeopardy by using your 1and1 Control Panel to re-image a server with Fedora Core 2 - Plesk 8.0.

If you do, your server will be rendered useless.

Our test server is at 6 hours and counting, and their support of the problem is still non-existent.

If you plan to upgrade your FC2 server to Plesk 8, do so with the autoinstaller, ssh or whatever other means you wish to use, just DON'T use 1and1 Control Panel.

If you choose to ignore this, you will find your 1and1 control panel useless, your server inaccessible and their support of the problem referred to as a server problem they have no control over.

Just a warning.

Originally posted by phatPhrog
If you are a 1and1 Dedicated Hosting account holder:

DO NOT: under any circumstances place your server in jeopardy by using your 1and1 Control Panel to re-image a server with Fedora Core 2 - Plesk 8.0.

If you do, your server will be rendered useless.

Our test server is at 6 hours and counting, and their support of the problem is still non-existent.

If you plan to upgrade your FC2 server to Plesk 8, do so with the autoinstaller, ssh or whatever other means you wish to use, just DON'T use 1and1 Control Panel.

If you choose to ignore this, you will find your 1and1 control panel useless, your server inaccessible and their support of the problem referred to as a server problem they have no control over.

Just a warning.

how can the OS on the server affect the 1&1 control panel ???

and i only see FC4 not FC2 ?

My bad. Yes, 1and1 has removed all support for FC2 Plesk 7.5.4.

I meant that to be FC4 - Plesk 8

Still it took 9 hours for a reimage. They obviously had some problems with our control panels, as the reimage locked up and did not complete properly.

They ended up re-initializing the server.

To test it, I have re-imaged since and it took less than an hour.

Fortunately this is a test server, because I ran a backup using psabackup.

The new pleskbackup/pleskrestore does not support the backup files.

I lost the two test clients and all domains, information, etc....

@phatPhrog

I am a 1&1 customer too.

I am now plaguing the 1&1 helpdesk with questions regarding Plesk and qmail and subdomains and hope they will see in the long run that Plesk is more expensive (=helpdesk intensive) than confixx.

Confixx was less trouble more productivity.

Lars

im a 1and1 customer and my server is working just nicely.

I did restore about 5 times in the last 48 hours (had to test a lot of stuff) and everything works fine.

granted, the images that are available include some files that are ... useless but those can be deleted easily.

1n1

As 1and1 clients have you verfied all mods, necessary MODS were compiled in your install.

We tested the 1and1 image process on two different test servers.

Each install resulted in different results, probably due to changes they are STILL making in their reinialization process on this still ongoing beta product.

I'm not the pro, but if I were you'd I'd not devote this new product (whether it be P8 or the 1and1 reimaging process) to a Production Server.

(i'm the one with the kick-me tattoo-as we did reimage one of our production servers)

We're bouncing data back and forth while we attempt to find a proper fix. Just glad it wasn't our main server.

USE CAUTION with this upgrade. Official or not, it still appears to be a beta.

I used to work with Confixx.

Confixx was heaven compared to Plesk.
More prductivity less hassle than Plesk.

Reasons why I don't like Plesk:

1) A new login for every domain. Try to manage 10+ domains.
2) Plesk subdomains ****
3) "qmail 98" instead of "postfix 2006"
4) encrypted php-files means no customization for me (underscore in pathnames)

Lars
...still fighting against Plesk-Hell™

huh? iptables dosn't work?

thats a bummer but atleast 1and1 has it so you can configure filters at the router level

also i havn't had a problem with reimaging other than teh BU utilities didn't work as advertised. I see theres a BU update going to try that.

Nope, they didnt build it into the kernel, or as a module, and you can beat the router filters just by fragmenting your traffic.

CAUTION on 1n1 Reimaging

Not sure what is going on with 1and1 at the moment, but it appears they are performing their own reimaging of servers.

We haven 't had access to our test server since 7pm EST/EDT tonite (now 10:30pm) and their fantastic tech support team in India can't or won't supply the information we need to resolve the issue. All well and good for an hour reimage process, huh?

Tech support also states their ONE (1) admin level support is far too busy to take calls. :rolleyes:

Nuttin' like support. :D

must comment.

I just reimaged my server doing what you say not to.. it went fine.

If you are having issues you need to call untillt hey escalate you to the highest priority.

I had a Harddrive And a network card failure about a eweek ago. they had new ones in my box within 2 hours.

1and1 firewalls are fine. I'vbe been using mine since I got my server in october and it works peachy.

AND im stillpaying 69$ a month HA! to everyone that says no to contracts!

as for plesk.. it isn't 1and1's resposibility to assist with the software, it is the DEVS of plesk responsibility.

there are SERIOUS neglectiosn with plesk.

Subdomains: don't even work
Mysql: instead of having the passwords users create in the documentation. you have to hunt through the SOURCE of php and conf files to find them.

Does plesk take these bug reports? NOOOOOO unless you pay the 600$ for a year of support, which is garbage.

I am using a $69 P43.0Ghz, 512RAM Value server from Aplus.net and I am preety satisfied with the speed and stability...

I've been on 1and1 before and I can't say many bad words, but once my server broke badly (no SSH access and no Apache) the support staff was unable to help... They reimaged it and it was back of course, but at the same time I ordered new one in A+. After several speed tests I decieded to keep A+

Well I do not have free support included with that package now, but who needs it :)

Back