• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

1and1 root server

E

envycom

Anyone done a 1and1 upgrade?

Can people post any problems/solutions relating to 1and1 roots post them here?

Thanks

dealing with 1and1 right now.. should hopefully have it resolved soon. Seems to be s licensing issue.

I now have 7.5 .o running on my server. This after a long talk with a nice young lady in Siberia! I called Plesk and it seems that the problem with upgrading has to do with the licensing...1and1 has given everyone a 7.5 license, however not everyone is running 7.5 yet....anyway as I got it from Plesk they had to downgrade my license to a temporary 7.1.6 and then we did the upgrade and they installed a new 7.5 license.

They also said that the problem appears to be something that 1and1 is not handling and they expect to work with them over the next few days.

So stay on 1and1's butt or call Plesk and see if they can help you.

I might just be the only one who has successfully upgraded to 7.5 on a 1and1 root.

I manager to upgrade OK late yesterday after a bit of bat and ball between Plesk & 1&1.

1&1's first statement was "You can't upgrade. We will have to re-image your server".

Yea right!

Yeah, they told me the same thing..problem is I just found out is that you can NOT restore a 7.1.6 dump file (Backup) to 7.5.0!

That would have been great restoring a hundred domains only to find out that they were all lost because of 1and1's ineptitude.

Please advise me as to how you went about your upgrade as I still have one more server to upgrade.

Thanks

From about 2pm yesterday I clicked on Retrieve Keys on the server Liceence key page and then just clicked the Update button on the server (7.16).

I declined the offer to "upgrade kernel" because that caused my 1&1 box to die a few months back.

I upgraded today, simply because I noticed all these FAQs in the 1&1 database about upgrading from 7.0 to 7.5.

So i called them up and they cleared out my server and reimaged it, no problems at all - just clicked retrieve licence keys and it all worked.

I've gone from RedHat 9 with Plesk 6 to Fedora Core 2 with Plesk 7.5 in a matter of hours and no real problems yet :D

No, i backed up:
/var/qmail/mailnames/
/home/httpd/vhosts/

And all my MySQL dbs :)

Running a 1and1 Root III with RedHat9

Just completed a 7.1.6 to 7.5 update with only two problems. The new control panel doesn't work well with my Firefox browser. So I had to break down and use M$ Internet Exploder to finish the updates. The VPN update failed with an error on dependency on TUN see other post in this forum for details on failure here http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19874

Other than those two issues everything seems fine.

memdy... did you just restart to resolve the kenel problem?

Cheers,

I also have a 1and1 root server running Red Hat 9. Just did an upgrade from 7.1.4 to 7.5 using the Plesk updater and experienced no problems. I also declined the kernel upgrade but would like to eventually do it to make use of the firewall module in the new Plesk.

Has anyone done a successful kernel upgrade on their 1and1 root server?

Also, since the 1and1 support is somewhat lacking, lets keep this forum open for 1and1 users to keep each other updated. Too bad 1and1 doesn't have a forum.

Cheers,
Dylan

I agree with that, 1&1s server support is very lacking. But when I tried to get help from Plesk themselves, using the support button from the control panel, I was told to contact 1&1 for support. As if they'd help me! :rolleyes:

Quote from their FAQs:
Administration

Support by 1&1 Internet is limitd to hardware problems and networking problems. The administration of the server is fully
the customers responsibility. THis includes securing the server against outside attacks and updating the system.
Has anyone noticed the number of spelling mistakes and DOuble CAps words on those FAQs? ;)

I didn't restart to avoid the kernel upgrade. I'm still holding off, but a couple of my other servers didn't ask which is the strange part and they have the same OS and kernel as the one asking for an upgrade. I"m wondering if they were compiled differently.

I'm not too sure why some servers would not require the upgrade. Are they all 1and1 root servers?

As for the 1and1 support here is a response I just received when I emailed them asking what kind of hardware and backup configuration their Exchange Hosting servers use:

Thank you for contacting 1&1

Our backup system is being backup daily with a Raiding Syatem just in case hard work failure occurs.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Clearly we are on our own with the support here people. :D

yea i got a few clients using them there definatly lacking forum and support for nearly everything . they actually say they are still running sendmail in their faq's . im in.
lol

Back