• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

2 Problems: Apache crashes frequently and restarting apache thru psa not working

J

jkrenkers

Hello guys,
this weekend i managed the following steps:

1. Upgrade plesk 8.1.1 to plesk 8.2 on Debian 3.1
Everything works fine, no errors.

2. Dist-Upgrade form Debian 3.1 to Debian 4.0 and fixing plesk-8.2-debian3.1-packages to plesk-8.2-debian4.0-packages.
This was a hard job to do with much bash'ing. Had the error saying something about psa-api dependency cycle, but managed to get around that.

Now again everything works fine except two bugs, i can not solve.

I. Apache sometimes crashes although i've set the maxclients value to 200. The crash does not seem to be a "real crash". It's plesk sending a SIGTERM, but does not manage to bring apache up again.

II. I cannot restart apache thru the plesk panel (under Server > Service Management). When I try to restart the webserver service, plesk tells me that it might need some time to restart, but plesk only stops apache, but does not get it up online again.
I think that issue corresponds to the issue mentioned above in I.

If I do a restart via "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart" it takes about 15 seconds but that restart works fine.

Anyone who got the same problems or any advices how i can fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greetz

Jens

are you using tomcat, it looks like there are some problems with tomcat on debian...

Tomcat5 (5.0.30-12) is installed, but not running. I would wonder if this would be the reason for the bugs i described.

Thnx for your time, danliker.

I investigated the things going wrong a little bit more.
Plesk uses websrvmng to start/stop/restart apache. It seems that the webpanel has a timeout for getting the actual status, but apache needs some time to get stopped. Maybe the command to bring apache back online is never fired. But this is speculation.
I would appreciate some hints. Maybe SWSOFT is able to give a statement.

Thnx

Jens

Haha,
surprise, suprise. First I thought, that these two problems have come up due to my update procedure.
But a few minutes ago i talked to a friend who got a brand new 1and1-Root-Server and did a Etch (aka Debian 4.0) installation from scratch and after that did a clean install of Plesk 8.2.
Now guess what...
He exactly has the same problems.
Special thanks to SWSOFT for that nice release. They did not learn their lessons from earlier upgrades.

Greetz

Jens

Hello danliker,
what do u mean with "my problem"?
In my case the Watchdog service is completely disabled an not running.

Greetz

Jens

Back