• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

2 VERY odd MailEnable problems, please help!

X

Xandarth

Hi,

After updating to Plesk 7.6 all of our servers have the same mysterious problems. Both are mail-related, but they don't seem to be related to eachother...

1st issue:
We're using Horde Webmail. Since the update it sometimes happens that when logging into Horde using IMAP, you can't see all the mails in your inbox or in other folders. Sometimes you see 3 mails when there should be 20, sometimes you can't see any mails at all. But physically they are definately there, Horde just can't see them.
It works fine when using the POP3 method for Webmail, but we'd like to have IMAP so that the user is able to create his own folders and have a sent mail folder. A reboot sometimes solves the problem, but not always. Deleting the index.xml file in the mailbox folder only helps at the first encounter of the problem for every mailbox, but afterwards it's just as useless as rebooting. Also the mchk.exe repair thingy only helped sometimes too... i completely failed to detect any kind of pattern in this behaviour, the problem seems totally random... the event viewer didn't show any signs of problems either (as usual)...

2nd issue (maybe even stranger than the first one):
At least this is a general problem that affects all mailboxes at the same time, but that doesn't make it any less strange. From time to time (about 3-5 times a week) the mailserver just stops delivering messages. He accepts them and the log entry in the SMTP log is complete and there are no sings of an error, but the mail never reaches the mailbox of the designated user. The mails don't hang in the incoming queue nor can i seem to find them anywhere else. After a simple reboot however, all of thise previously missing mails get delivered to the correct mailboxes. As with the other problem mentioned above, the event viewer doesn't show anything and none of the maillogs show any missing entries/problems/warnings or whatever.

If anyone has only the slightest idea what the cause of any of those problems could be, please inform me. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated as I am already out of ideas and of course the customers are starting to complain a lot about those mail issues :(

Originally posted by Xandarth
2nd issue (maybe even stranger than the first one):
At least this is a general problem that affects all mailboxes at the same time, but that doesn't make it any less strange. From time to time (about 3-5 times a week) the mailserver just stops delivering messages. He accepts them and the log entry in the SMTP log is complete and there are no sings of an error, but the mail never reaches the mailbox of the designated user. The mails don't hang in the incoming queue nor can i seem to find them anywhere else. After a simple reboot however, all of thise previously missing mails get delivered to the correct mailboxes. As with the other problem mentioned above, the event viewer doesn't show anything and none of the maillogs show any missing entries/problems/warnings or whatever.

If anyone has only the slightest idea what the cause of any of those problems could be, please inform me. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated as I am already out of ideas and of course the customers are starting to complain a lot about those mail issues :(

We are experiencing the same weird issues with mail (MailEnable Standard - POP3) not being disposed to mailboxes. They just hang in Postoffice connector's outgoing queue. All you have to do is restart ME service and they'll disperse (but it's pain in the *** doing this every couple of days).
A quick look at ME forums didn't have any result.

Solution? We're switching to DotNetPanel and hMailServer (IMAP) anyway, so we'll continue as it is for the next few weeks. If I do find solution, I'll post it in this thread.

Hi,

We're using Horde Webmail. Since the update it sometimes happens that when logging into Horde using IMAP, you can't see all the mails in your inbox or in other folders. Sometimes you see 3 mails when there should be 20, sometimes you can't see any mails at all. But physically they are definately there, Horde just can't see them.
It works fine when using the POP3 method for Webmail, but we'd like to have IMAP so that the user is able to create his own folders and have a sent mail folder.

We had this problem on one of our servers and we fixed it by updating the IMP component in Horde.

IMP can be obtained from the Horde website and FTP server, at
http://www.horde.org/imp/
ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/imp/

To install the new version we just ...
i. Made a copy of the exiting C:\Inetpub\vhosts\webmail\horde\imp\ folder in case we needed to roll back.
ii. Stopped the Horde web application in IIS.
iii. Unzipped the new version and copied it over the existing version at C:\Inetpub\vhosts\webmail\horde\imp\
iv. Started the Horde web application in IIS

Hope this helps

Hello

We have the same problem. From time to time Spamassassin queues messages. If I stop Spamassassin service all messages are processed correctly. Anyone encountered the same problem, any solution ?

Best Regards
Joris Willekens

Hello Sergius

After I replaced the files spamassassin was not available anymore on our server ( plesk says component was not installed )

Any solution ?

Best Regards
JorisW

Sergius

Should I upgrade first to 7.6 and afterwards to 8.1 ?

Best regards

Joris

Originally posted by jorisw
Should I upgrade first to 7.6 and afterwards to 8.1 ?
Sir, excuse me. I'm not sure I understood your question.

If you have installed 7.6.0 and you want to install 070219.16 then first you should install 7.6.1
If you have installed 7.6.x and you want to install 8.1 then you may install 8.1 over 7.6.x

Hello again,

Just wanted to post a status report about the problems:

The Webmail-problem has been solved by updating horde and imp...

The memailfilter.exe problem was solved on 2 out of 3 servers using the 070219.16 patch that sergius mentioned. Our newest server however didn't react quite as good to the patch as the other 2 did. The problem got worse in fact after installing the patch. Before, this server had the mail problem about 2-3 times a week, now it's 5-6 times a day and there are also problems with mails being delivered with a delay of up to 12 hours and some (outgoing) mails don't get delivered at all (sender recives delivery delay error message and after that a delivery failure message, but the logfiles don't show anything regarding that particular mail)

I'm currenty working on this problem, didn't try the mchk.exe fix yet, i will keep you posted if anything changes...

Well... mchk.exe didn't help.

I deactivated the anti-virus and that slowed the problem down again...now the memailfilter.exe processes stack very slowly...about every 30 minutes or so a mail doesn't get processed and stays as "memailfilter.exe" or "memailfilter_usr.exe" until the task is ended manually or plesk management service is being restarted.

I made a "fix" that automatically restarts plesk management service if the number of processes with "memeailfilter" in their name gets bigger than 8, but this doesn't really solve the problem...it's just a poor workaround...

And another problem that came up since the patch is that the plesksrv.exe (which represents the plesk management service) get's "stuck" sometimes, meaning that the control panel isn't accessible anymore even if the exe file is still running and the service didn't stop. The only way to solve this is to restart plesk management service again. As far as i could see, this behaviour has nothing to do with the mail problem or my "poor wokraround", it's quite random, sometimes it even happens 2 times in a row...

Sergius, do you know anything about this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Xandarth

Sergius, do you know anything about this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Xandarth, I suggest you send me private message with creadentials for your problem server and we will look at it on the spot as soon as possible.

Well, I did that on the day you asked me to, but unfortunately if pm tracking is working correctly my message hasn't been read yet :(

Please inform me if I need to resend anything.

Problem solved!

...at least it seems that way :)
No problems so far over the last 3 days...

Thanks very much for your help Sergius!

Back