• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.1 and mySQL v4 upgrade

A

Adam2020

We are primarily an Ensim shop but recently started rolling out Plesk on some of our new servers. There are some things I like about Plesk, but others still make hair on my back stand when I think about them (no server-wide backup option for all domains, site backups take sites off-line, etc).

But, here's one I can't get a straight answer from Plesk support. Brand new install, Plesk 7.5.1/Reloaded on Fedora Core 1. Want to upgrade mySQL 3.23 to 4.x. mySQL 4 has been out for what, over a year now? Well over a year, if my memory serves me right. We've been offering our hosting clients mySQL 4 on Ensim for a very long time, and need to offer the same on Plesk servers. What is the procedure for upgrading mySQL to v4, so that all sites can see and recognize the new version? I'm sure it's a little different than on Ensim servers where you need to run pre and post maintenance scripts that copy the new settings to each site, but... Plesk support won't say one way or another how this upgrade can be applied... if at all. Do I just install standard mySQL RPMs and Plesk takes care of the rest? How much is Plesk tied to the system, OS, packages, etc, and how much can be done independently of the Plesk control panel? Is it anywhere as flexible as say Webmin where you can install things from shell (RPMs, etc) and the web control panel just works with whatever is there, or....???

Thanks!

How much is Plesk tied to the system, OS, packages, etc

Apart from qmail and courier-imap it's independant ... you can run any apache 2.x, php, etc. and Plesk won't complain and will work happily with them.

Okay, this is what I did.

Downloaded the following files:

mysql-4.0.22-2.rhfc1.art.i386.rpm
mysql-compat-4.0.22-2.rhfc1.art.i386.rpm
mysql-devel-4.0.22-2.rhfc1.art.i386.rpm
mysql-server-4.0.22-2.rhfc1.art.i386.rpm

and installed them with:

rpm -Fvh *.rpm

Restarted mySQL. mysql -V shows correctly v4.22 as running.

I then run:

/usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

as suggested by lvalics. Came up with couple errors about non-existing tables or columns, but nothing critical (that I could tell).

When I access DB WebAdmin through Plesk (7.5.1), it comes up with phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl3 and mySQL 4.0.22

Everything APPEARS to be working. If anyone has any comments or would like to mention something that I may have missed - please do let me know!

Thanks.

Okay, give me a hint... what do I need to update in my.cnf?

:)

On my other servers (Ensim with mySQL4) I did tweak some of the specs for performance reasons. Is there something I need to do on Plesk, outside of these tweaks? Any pointers, how-to's, or documentation you can point me at? Or an example?

Thanks!

Back