• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.2 upgrade with MySQL 4

N

nero0247

I am running Redhat Enterprise 3 ES and PLESK 7.5.1 with MySQL 4.0.22-2 ART. I was wondering if I could upgrade to 7.5.2 with no problems. If this is not possible what is needed?

Everything is running smooth as of right now but I need to know if there will be any problems. Thanks!

mysql 4 is works find under RH9 and FC2 with plesk 7.5.2. You will just have to run....

Code:
run mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

Originally posted by Jason Lee
mysql 4 is works find under RH9 and FC2 with plesk 7.5.2. You will just have to run....

Code:
run mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

I thought you only ran that when you upgraded from MySQL 3 to MySQL 4?

Originally posted by nero0247
I thought you only ran that when you upgraded from MySQL 3 to MySQL 4?

Ifyou have already ran it then you don't need to and you will be able to upgrade to 7.5.2 with no problems

Originally posted by Jason Lee
Ifyou have already ran it then you don't need to and you will be able to upgrade to 7.5.2 with no problems

I did run it and everythihng is running smooth. I currently have what I have already stated above. So in other words PLESK is running on MySQL 4.0.22-2 and therefore the upgrade will work as it did with MySQL 3

Originally posted by nero0247
I did run it and everythihng is running smooth. I currently have what I have already stated above. So in other words PLESK is running on MySQL 4.0.22-2 and therefore the upgrade will work as it did with MySQL 3

yes. I upgraded my FC2 server to 7.5.2 running Art's Mysql 4

I used to have the fix_priv code running inside the rpm (in fact its still in the .spec file), but I ran into some issues where that routine would break some installations so I disabled it. It needs some more finessing before I can turn it back on.

Not Smooth

I tried updating Plesk from 7.5.1 with MySQL 4.1 installed and the installation fails. Both the 'Automatic Updater' service, and a manual RPM install. They both fail complaining that mysql did not start correctly.

My installation still seems to work, though I know that some items are still at 7.5.1 and some are at 7.5.2.

bboooooooooooooooooooooooo

yep - ive got this problem too..

...and given that 7.5.1 is not good - this is a big problem.

i checked the install logs and it seems that it fails while trying to check the mysql version.

Surely this is a trivial problem that could be easily sorted out.

...and has no unicode support

would it be possible to downgrade to 4.0 - update plesk - and then upgrade again?

Sure, mysql 4.1 mostly works with PSA, it just breaks a few things, like deleting domains. If you have a mostly static system its not that big of a deal.

nope - downgrading mysql doesnt work - not without caning all the databases!

which means that if you have 7.5.1 and mysql 4.1 you are pretty much stuck.

god i hate closed-source software.

i think hacking the psa-7.5.2 rpm is the only way.

Unicode

Bit unrelated question here, which MySQL does not support unicode 3.2 4,0 or 4.1?

for anyone interested...

i have managed to upgrade to 7.5.2 - but it was a white-knuckle ride.

In order to do so i had to:

1) link /etc/init.d/mysql to /etc/init.d/mysqld
2) edit the above so that it can:
- provide status information on the mysql daemon
- start/stop in a similar fashion to the default redhat startup script
- place the pid file in the correct place.
3) manually restart mysql 1/2 way through the install.

not for the faint-hearted!

but i can now login in a reasonable fashion!

Re: for anyone interested...

2) edit the above so that it can:
- provide status information on the mysql daemon
- start/stop in a similar fashion to the default redhat startup script
- place the pid file in the correct place.

can you please post more information about the modifications made to the mysql startup script? I've got mine to the point where it fails on "ERROR while trying to stop MySQL server" however I do not understand what status the RPM scriptlet is looking for from the mysql control script. Thanks!

thats a problem with the mysql.com rpms, in addition to using a different name (mysql vs. mysqld) they dont support the same init script options that the redhat ones (what PSA is expecting) do. This is especially problematic with their MySQL-Max rpm, since the mysql daemon itself is running as mysql-max as opposed to mysqld. I resolved this in my rpm by building one daemon with max in it, calling it mysqld, and using the redhat init scripts.

Back