• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.4 Update

D

DevServe

I have 7.5.3 Plesk and I noticed that in Plesk, Server > Updater > Plesk 7.5.3 Components it lists "Base packages of Plesk May 6, 2005 May 6, 2005 Updates are available" I'm a bit new to this (the server level of Plesk -- I've used the Client level for a few years) so I'd like to ask if this is going to bring me up to 7.5.4? If so, is there a readme of changes, bug fixes?

Cheers,

Carlos

You will still be at 7.5.3.... It just fixes a few bugs.... Worked fine for me.

-poke

This is not version 7.5.4, it is the Sitebuilder module.

If you use Sitebuilder, you can now administer it from the main admin page.

You can check /tmp/autoinstaller.log to see what packages are due to be installed. In my case:

---
package psa (file /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/psa_v7.5.3_build75050509.14_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh) is added to install list as base package
package psa_hotfix (file /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/psa_hotfix_v7.5.3_build75050519.18_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh) is added to install list as base packa
ge
package sitebuilder_for_plesk (file /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/sitebuilder_for_plesk_v7.5.3_build75050527.10_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh) is added to inst
all list as base package
List of selected packages building is completed

Checking package /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/psa_v7.5.3_build75050509.14_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh...not installed, but newer package found
Checking package /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/psa_hotfix_v7.5.3_build75050519.18_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh...installed
Checking package /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/sitebuilder_for_plesk_v7.5.3_build75050527.10_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh...not installed, but older package f
ound

After checking for previous installation following packages are sheduled for installing:
package sitebuilder_for_plesk (file /PSA_7.5.3/Standard/sitebuilder_for_plesk_v7.5.3_build75050527.10_os_FreeBSD_5.3_i386.sh)

Since I don't use site builder, I can ignore this update then?

NO... update your plesk man... It makes some changes to the plesk API and a couple other base packages. You will need to do it anyway and it shouldn't break your box.

-poke

"it shouldn't "....

Alas those are the key words. ;)

OK, I'll give it a shot. I've been having problems with mail in Plesk 7.5.3 and maybe just maybe, this update can help solve them. Unlike others who seem to have issues with IMAP and Horde, my issue is that I am unable to use SMTP. I also noticed that the Qmail server can't be stopped/restarted -- unlike the other services in plesk.

I've had my server company working on this issue for a few days and nothing seems to resolve it. Maybe I should post more details here since this IS the Plesk site. :)

Cheers,

Sorry.... IT WON'T.... I promise :) I wish I had some log files for you but I'm watching the finals and am a bit lazy. :D

Go Pistons!

You should probably post your problem as this will likely not fix it.

OK,

Where to begin? :D

First background. I've used Plesk going back to version 5. However, in the past, it was always at the Client/Reseller level. I recently move to a VPS using Virtuozzo and Plesk 7.5.3.

1) First thing I did in Plesk was to install Dr. Web (through Plesk). I looked at the log that was generated and no problems were mentioned.

2) After creating my domains, and migrating my sites, I sent out a message through one of my domain's vBulletin 3.0.7 Admin Control Panel. I have about 600 users registered in this forum. I haven't had any mail issues at my last host, but after I sent out a mass mail to all my users (to announce we were back online), I found the following case:
* some users did not receive the email I sent out (I set it so that users who had their 'don't receive admin emails' still got my email)
* a few users got 2 copies
* one user got 200 copies of the email

As you may guess, I am very concerned about that last case.

3) Also in my vBulletin setup, some users who have subscribed to message threads (they get emails when someone posts to the thread) are not getting their notices. Two things about this:
* this problem didn't exist on my last host
* all my vBulletin setttings are the same as they were on my last host
* all my vBulletin settings are correct

Here is a portion of the mail header that a user who recieved two copies sent me:
(I've removed ip/domain name)

Message 1
---------------
Received: (qmail 3407 invoked from network); 29 May 2005 08:30:05 -0000
Received: from unknownx.x.x.x.myhosting.com (HELO host.mydomain.com) (x.x.x.x) by s19.loopia.se with SMTP; 29 May 2005 08:30:05 -0000
Received: (qmail 17728 invoked by uid 48); 29 May 2005 04:25:54 -0400

Message 2
---------------
Received: (qmail 6529 invoked from network); 29 May 2005 08:40:27 -0000
Received: from unknownx.x.x.x.myhosting.com (HELO host.mydomain.com) (x.x.x.x) by s19.loopia.se with SMTP; 29 May 2005 08:40:27 -0000
Received: (qmail 17728 invoked by uid 48); 29 May 2005 04:25:54 -0400

4) In my email client, I'm having a rough time sending out email using my domain accounts (smtp) Seems a tad flaky.
In Server > Server-wide mail preferences
I have the following:
Maximum letter size 20000kB
Relaying authorization is required
pop3 and smtp checked
lock time 20 min
Check the passwords for mailboxes in the dictionary toggles on
MAPS zones has sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org in the field
My mail client has authorization is required checked and the correct login/passwords

Nothing is in my Black List. I have "127.0.0.1 / 32" in my White List per the tip in this thread:
http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?t=54716

Checking email I get an error that my domain does not support authentication. If memory serves me correct, if I turn off authentication from my mail client, it does send the email, although it tends to take a 'long time' to get delivered. (i.e. I use my ISP's smtp to send my account an email... it arrives but it takes far longer than it should.)

5) In Server > Services management
I am curious as to why, of the running services, SMTP Server (QMail) does not have the stop icon available?

6) I've confirmed that all services/apps are running in Plesk.

7) As per standard procedure, my host set up the following before handing me the VPS (PowerVPS.com)
* Mod_Security
* APF (Advanced Policy Firewall)
* BFD (Brute Force Detection)
* SIM (System Integrity Monitor)
* PRM (Process Resource Monitor)
* LES (Linux Environment Security)
* NSIV (Network Socket Inode Validation)
* SPRI (System Priority)

8) Since I have APF installed,
Modules > Firewall
Has everything set to "Allow incoming from all" with the exception of:
System policy for incoming traffic: Allow all other incoming traffic
System policy for outgoing traffic: Allow all other outgoing traffic
System policy for forwarding of traffic: Deny forwarding of all other traffic

9) At one point, I did ask my host to to check Qmail's qeue, which they did.

10) With Dr. Web on, I recall getting an error in my mail client with an issue with rcthost. My host looked into that had told me they updated the rcthost file. They also switched of Dr. Web with teh explanation that it is causing issues for Plesk users.

11) Whew!, did I miss anything? In a nutshell, I want to be able to use smtp and use my mail client to send mail (using authentication), I want to find out why my forum isn't always sending out mail, and why one user got hit by 200 messages from me. All in all, I would say the problem lies between Qmail and APF. Since I'm a bit of a newbie, I can't think of how to deal with this. I've heard issues about IMAP/Horde on Plesk 7.5.3 from other issues, but in my case, I'm not using either.

Here is some additional info:
CPU AuthenticAMD, AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 250
Version psa v7.5.3_build75050509.16 os_FedoraCore 2
OS Linux 2.4.20-021stab028.12.777-enterprise

Component name Component version
psa 7.5.3-fc2.build75050506.13
httpd 2.0.51-2.9
bind 9.2.3-13
courier-imap 3.0.8-fc2.build75050506.13
frontpage 5.0.2.2634
mailman 2.1.5-10.fc2
mysql 3.23.58-16.FC2.1
postgresql-server Component was not installed
webalizer 2.01_10-22
php 4.3.10-2.4.1.swsoft
mod_python 3.1.3-1.fc2.2
coldfusion Component was not installed
psa-migration-manager 7.5.3-fc2.build75050506.18
SSHTerm 0.2.2-fc2.build75050506.13
spamassassin 2.63-8
psa-qmail 1.03-fc2.build75050506.13
psa-qmail-rblsmtpd 0.70-fc2.build75050506.13
psa-proftpd 1.2.10-fc2.build75050506.13
psa-logrotate 3.7-fc2.build75050506.13
psa-spamassassin 7.5.3-fc2.build75050506.13
tomcat4 Component was not installed
psa-tomcat-configurator Component was not installed
mod_perl 1.99_12-2.1
perl-Apache-ASP 2.57-fc2.build75050506.13
drweb 4.32.2-rh7_psa
drweb-qmail 4.32-fc2.build75050506.13
psa-bu 7.5.3-fc2.build75050506.13
psa-api-rpc 7.5.3-fc2.build75050509.09

Nice details, I have no clue what is going on with your email problems. As far as the psa-firewall, you might as well uninstall it if you are using APF. BFD is a hog and might load you down a bit. I've only heard that about BFD so I stay away from it.

I would use CLAMAV instead of Dr Web, but hey if your provider provides it, I guess it's worth a little as a selling point.

I think vBulletin should be examined a bit more.

----
5) In Server > Services management
I am curious as to why, of the running services, SMTP Server (QMail) does not have the stop icon available?

NOT COOL! I would submit a support ticket to your provider and have them at least give you some advice. Did the icon disappear only after the upgrade or was this a clean 7.5.3 intall?

How did your base packages install via the plesk updater?

There are many very educated peeps on this forum that will have much more to offer than me. Any help out there guys?

>Nice details
Thanks. I know there is nothing worse to a guru who wants to help than a newbie that makes them pull teeth for details.

> As far as the psa-firewall, you might as well >uninstall it if you are using APF.
That sounds logical, but might I end up breaking something. (Remember, I'm coming from the v5 days when you walked softly around fooling around with Plesk, less you bork it.) So this is just a matter of going to the modules section and "removing" the Firewall? Sounds simple.

>I've only heard that about BFD so I stay away >from it.
To be honest, I've been so focused in getting my domains migrated I haven't had time to ponder that. I mentioned it in case it was the reason for my problems. I'll keep your advice in mind though.

>I would use CLAMAV instead of Dr Web,
I'm on a Mac, where virii don't exist ;) (a joke) so it isn't the end of the world (I also don't have clients). But I will at some poin look at 4PSA solutions on this.

>I think vBulletin should be examined a bit more.
I'm pretty comfortable with my vBulletin setup. It was simply moved from the old host -- in working condition -- so I am not sure it would have been 'bork' so easily.

>NOT COOL! I would submit a support ticket to >your provider and have them at least give you >some advice.
:( I have notified them about this since my first support ticket.

>was this a clean 7.5.3 intall?
Yes, I think from day one it was like that (7.5.3)
I've done a lot of reading here and I do recall hearing about this problem from other Plesk users.

Cheers,

> As far as the psa-firewall, you might as well >uninstall it if you are using APF.
That sounds logical, but might I end up breaking something. (Remember, I'm coming from the v5 days when you walked softly around fooling around with Plesk, less you bork it.) So this is just a matter of going to the modules section and "removing" the Firewall? Sounds simple

just use ssh and rpm -e psa-firewall <-- I'm just guessing on the syntax, it won't break plesk BTW......

>NOT COOL! I would submit a support ticket to >your provider and have them at least give you >some advice.
I have notified them about this since my first support ticket.

That sucks, do you have permissions to update template via your VZPP? If so, they should have the updated 7.5.3 updates as the first phase of bug fixes happened about 2 days ago or so.

>was this a clean 7.5.3 intall?
Yes, I think from day one it was like that (7.5.3)
I've done a lot of reading here and I do recall hearing about this problem from other Plesk users.

I think I was asking if the qmail button was there since the beginning or not.?! If it wasn't they should have handed over a psa 7.5.2 VPS to you instead of using you as a 7.5.3 beta tester. ;)

-poke

As far as the psa-firewall, you might as well >uninstall it if you are using APF.
That sounds logical, but might I end up breaking something. (Remember, I'm coming from the v5 days when you walked softly around fooling around with Plesk, less you bork it.) So this is just a matter of going to the modules section and "removing" the Firewall? Sounds simple

just use ssh and rpm -e psa-firewall <-- I'm just guessing on the syntax, it won't break plesk BTW......
You mentioned removing the rpm. That is of course fine, but a nagging voice says, if I do remove the Plesk firewall, I should do it via the control panel, so that it clears out not only the firewall files, but and mysql tables/data/etc that plesk must use to know it is installed.

If my reasoning sound or off-base?

Cheers

AFAIK (and sort of confirmed by past problems on ES 3 with the rpm database), Plesk does not store information about installed modules in the database - it reads the RPM database when you login - probably looking for current versions of installed Plesk as well as non-Plesk packages - which it does report. as Info.

On certain ES 3 servers this function gets broken (it's a Red Hat problem) and when Plesk can't read the RPM database you can't log in. There's a thread about this on this forum somewhere - search for rebuilddb and you'll probably find it.

I have always just uninstalled the RPM package for un-wanted Plesk modules (like psa-firewall and Dr. Web and Spamassassin) and it's always worked fine - I'd support poke's post on this issue.

Monitor the maillog for a little while, see if anything looks odd...

tail -f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

You said a lot of people didn't receive the email, so ensure your DNS is configured correctly in /etc/resolv.conf ... if your server tried to send to ISP1.com and they arrived, and to ISP2.com but they didn't arrive, you could be being filtered with an RBL or similar, or just unable to dns lookup the destination to send email to ... perhaps you're in a rbl blacklist for spamming (ensure you're not running an open relay by sending an email via qmail with SMTP-auth disabled).

Dr. Web shouldn't selectively block outgoing email, in fact I don't think it even scans outgoing email sent via PHP (vBulletin) ... although I'm not certain.

Also, you might like to ensure you are actually given Dr. Web by your VPS provider as few offer it due to the costs. You might have a 15-mailbox free license which every Plesk server gets.

QUOTE: Relaying authorization is required
pop3 and smtp checked

If you have pop3 checked and your mail is being flakey....that would be because you are not checking your mail before trying to send mail. With that box checked you have to POP your mail before trying to send mail. Most email clients (outlook) isn't set up to do this and you have to manually check mail before trying to send (or) hit the send and receive button twice before it will send. Most people turn it off now days.

LadyHawk (cool movie by the way),

Checking the email before sending mail makes no difference. I can check it about 10 times, and when I try to send email, I still get an error reporting that my server doesn't support auth. My host said he checked that smtp auth. is part of my Qmail installation.

Here is a monkey wrench. He tested one of my email accounts on Gmal, and it worked (to send email). He had another person test using his machine which is the same platform as mine, Mac OS X. That person said it worked.

The settings for my mail client weren't changed when I mirgated to the new server. i.e. my account name, email, and smtp address is the same. All worked flawless on my last host. But doesn't on my new host, and they both run Plesk 7 Reload.

I'm really stumped.

Are you willing to go to your "DNS" setting and hit "default" with the correct IP? Most of the time migrating doesn't do very well with DNS settings. Hit default and you'll see a different email server URL.

-poke

Back