• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

"Add Domain Alias" icon (+link) vanished

P

porkchop

Hi Gang,
This is a head scratcher, utterly illogical, but anyways...

I migrated a domain from a Plesk 8.0 box to an 8.2 box using Migration Manager. All good - except - after migration, client wants to add a domain alias. Sure, no problem!

In the domain control panel. When the "Domain Aliases" icon is clicked, there should be an "Add Domain Alias" icon visible in the "Tools" section of that part of the interface....but it's gone! I didn't believe the client until I looked for myself, and he's right. There is no icon.

I've stopped and restarted the admin server of course, thinking that would restore the missing icon. Alas, no joy.

In the domain conf directory there is of course the httpd.include which takes pains to mention that no editing should be done on that file, but instead one should edit domain.tld/conf/vhost.conf, except that doesn't exist either! (NOTE: not even in domains that *HAVE* aliases in place!)

I'm at a complete loss. Can anyone suggest what to do here?

Regards & TIA,
/porky

Make sure under limits they have a number allowed that is greater then 0 for the domain and for the client. Sometimes that is the problem.

No domain has a vhost.conf file by default unless you either put one there, or have one in your skel directory, so dont worry about that. Its only telling you that if you want to make changes to the values in the httpd.include file to do it in a vhost.conf file instead of editing that, as your change will only get overwritten inside the include file, but in vhost.conf its safe from system overwritting.

Make sure under limits they have a number allowed that is greater then 0 for the domain and for the client. Sometimes that is the problem.

You were entirely right - of course. Thanks for giving me a nice nudge to check the "obvious" - in truth it never occurred to me to check the darned template....[sigh]

No domain has a vhost.conf file by default unless you either put one there, or have one in your skel directory, so don't worry about that. Its only telling you that if you want to make changes to the values in the httpd.include file to do it in a vhost.conf file instead of editing that, as your change will only get overwritten inside the include file, but in vhost.conf its safe from system overwritting.

Good (no, GREAT) tip. It's a pity that isn't in a sticky someplace, because I have the feeling that I'm not the only one who (previously) failed to understand that a vhost.conf is immune to upgrade overwriting. Thanks!!

/porky

Glad I could be of service :)

Some of these seemingly "obvious" things are not so obvious if you havent worked with PSA before or had a chance to familiarize yourself with their mindset.

The documentation and KB are somewhat helpfull if you have a spare 4 hours to read through it all, which most people dont so no one really reads it :p

I use 8.2 and I don't have "Domain Aliases" icon, too. The number allowed in the limits is 0.
I also couldn't find httpd.include and vhost.conf files in order to change zero. May be I couldn't understand well because of my English.
Is this not allowed to me or something else...I just want to make redirection for my existing domain.
Would be happy if somebody explains simple and clearly. Many thnksss...

And if its not allowed or unable to do it...how can I change my domain name with a new one ?

As I told you above I couldn't find httpd.include and vhost.conf files in order to change the zero. I looked all the files under the link "Manage File On Domain" and I will get crazy. Please tell me where they are exactly?

You change it in plesk UI, not in files.

I use 8.2 and I don't have "Domain Aliases" icon, too. The number allowed in the limits is 0.

^^^^^ You change the 0 to a number higher then 0

???

There is nowhere to change it in the user interface. I will change my hosting company to leave plesk, the program and you are not user friendly, I am trying to have a sufficent answer from you for 2-3 days. Your very short replies doesnt help me !

I dont know what else I can say, that is the answer, however long or short you want it to be doesnt matter. If you need more guidance on the product I think you should read the domain administrators guide in the documentation section on the paralels website so that you can learn some of this basic stuff.

I would also assume that if you have a "hosting company" then you probably ought to talk to THEM to find out how to do it instead of asking in an administrative forum about things which are probably beyond the capabilities of your USER account.

Back