• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Ads & Banner in Plesk 8.4!

You can remove the logo on the top left. Parallels license agreement doesn't allow customers to remove the logo from the top right corner.

Man is that logo distracting. There should be a way to turn it off. There is absolutely no need for my customers to see it.

Man is that logo distracting. There should be a way to turn it off. There is absolutely no need for my customers to see it.

I am really agree with you. Parallels should pay to us for advertising with this ugly logo and link.

Regards.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it atleast blended in with the blue.. and the top left image looks pretty shoddy.

Overall thumbs-down for the new style updates.

In general i wouldnt mind if it was freeware or opensource... But we pay quite a lot of many for Plesk (it's one of the most expensive admins...). Even if it's there it should be nice and not disturbing, not a shitty logo on white background...

Parallels Staff please reply.

As far as I can tell, all Parallels has done to put there logo in the top right of the cp is they have taken the logout icon replaced it with their logo, which can be found in the theme files (def_parallels_logo.gif) under the images directory, and have changed the logout link to be a link to their site.

The link code is not part of the theme files and resides in the encoded php. In other words you can’t remove it without some serious css modding (div overlays) or by using the same background colour as the txt. However According to the terms of service this constitutes a licensing breach.

Also the news section framework, clearly build to give hosts the ability to supply their clients with news updates about their services has been encrypted so only parallels news will show and the admin option to turn news off no longer works.

Parallels attempt to brand their control panel has resulted in a grave loss of functionality. This software is supposed to be a control panel for web hosts. No administrators i know who currently use Plesk will accept having a large, badly coded logo at the top right of their customer control panel.

A Warning: Parallels should seriously take time to consider which direction they are taking this software in. You are in danger of losing a large proportion of your client base if this over branding continues and is not reversed in the next version.

I’d like to further point out that users can now see which add-ons are enabled and which are not. More importantly users can see which add-ons have been paid for and which have not. This software is no longer suitable for Webhosts looking to manage their marketing and branding carefully. In this day and age the quality of the control panel is what sets webhosts apart from each other. Anyone thinking of using this software in its current state should stop and think:

1. You cannot remove large parralleles logo from the control panel
2. You cannot remove parallels news section or replace it with your own news.
3. You cannot stop your clients seeing add-ons which have not been payed for.

I have to say I am disappointed. This software has lost many of its most valuable features and I guarantee you I am not the only one who will be forced to change control panel if a compromise is not reached before the release of the next version.
By over branding and encrypting this software Parallels is putting itself in a risky position. Admins are more likely to try and hack you're software now you have removed the ability to brand the control panel. Can you not simply be satisfied with a copyright like everyone else?

I look forward to your reply,

Frank MacDonald
Redforrest.net Staff
[email protected]

Well said Frank. Nobody at parallels is listening or cares since they already make their money off of large box farms like 1and1. Hosting fees include the Plesk tax, so why should they care if their customers go with another control panel? This forum exists for customers to blow off steam only as far as I've seen, with the occasional "official" post for appearances.

I for one am sick of the extreme lack of quality, free advertising for parallels, and half done features in new releases - or missing entirely: postfix, DomainKeys implementation without DKIM? If it wasn't for the appvault and ARTs wonderful ASL add-on I'd be gone already.

I for one am sick of the extreme lack of quality, free advertising for parallels, and half done features in new releases - or missing entirely: postfix, DomainKeys implementation without DKIM? If it wasn't for the appvault and ARTs wonderful ASL add-on I'd be gone already.
Amen! ......

The solution is pretty simple: Dont upgrade to plesk 8.4.

Always read/follow the forum and only upgrade if the first bugs are resolved AND the version has important new features you cant live without. Personally i find there is not one single new feature that makes me want to upgrade to 8.4, atm we use 8.3 and the next time we will be looking to upgrade is MySQL 5.1 support.

Always read/follow the forum and only upgrade if the first bugs are resolved AND the version has important new features you cant live without. Personally i find there is not one single new feature that makes me want to upgrade to 8.4, atm we use 8.3 and the next time we will be looking to upgrade is MySQL 5.1 support.

You are aware there are security vulnerabilities in some of the packaged software bundled with Plesk 8.3 and earlier?

If you don't upgrade, you don't get the updated packages that patch security issues.

Dont upgrade? If everyone do that how do you suppose bugs will be fixed because believe me there will always be bugs, in any software (although Plesk sometimes takes the cake).
The best advise is dont upgrade a production box use a backup to ensure what could go wrong. Afterall you are an administrator and part of your job is to test,implement and maintain

You are aware there are security vulnerabilities in some of the packaged software bundled with Plesk 8.3 and earlier?

If you don't upgrade, you don't get the updated packages that patch security issues.

and what packages would that be?

Proftpd? you can install an update pretty easy yourself. From Dag Wieers for example
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/proftpd/ just remember to backup your config file.

courier-imap? plesk version is 3.0.8, official latest version = 4.3.1

qmail? thats been 1.03 for years now

or do you mean the appvault?

postnuke? plesk = 0.671a, official version is 0.764 (released in 2006)
joomla? plesk = 1.0.15, official = 1.5.2 (released mar 2008)
Gallery? plesk = 2.2, official = 2.2.4 (released dec 2007)

etc..... etc...

need i go on?

and what packages would that be?
This would be:

Horde Turba Vulnerability CVE-2008-0807: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Vulnerability SA28382: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Turba Vulnerability SA28382: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Mnemo Vulnerability SA28382: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Kronolith Vulnerability SA28382: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Vulnerability CVE-2007-6018: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Vulnerability CVE-2008-1284: detected [MODERATE]
Horde Kronolith Vulnerabilty BugtraqID 28898: detected [MODERATE]

The point about testing is well understood, as is the ability to hack in fixes. However, this is not a free product. It is not even in the realm of cheap. I expect a lot more from paid for software than I would from $random_project on Sourceforge. We should be getting security fixes ASAP without having to chance an upgrade, as you say with little to get excited about in the way of new or improved features. I pay for working software, and I don't appreciate it when I have to spend time monkeying around doing their job for them.

Ads in my paid for software is a slap in the face. They are trying to sell virtual hosting to MY hosting customers. At the very least they are trying to create brand identity on my dime. That is just not acceptable for paid for software. I would have thought they would have gotten the message when they first started pulling this ****, but I guess not.

They are telling us loud and clear that they don't value helping us to build OUR business thought their tools. They only seem to want to build their own and waste my time fixing things that should already be taken care of. Have fun hacking your plesk to work. I have better things to do, which is why I paid for it in the first damn place.

Andy made good points. I've challenged their support people on why we need to pay to have bugs fixed, their answer has been nothing but marketing non-sense.

Anyways, the Linux version lacks a lot of needed functionality and updates. The Windows version isn't better off but at least it has a few more features...

first of all: i've to manage some 250 domains for my company, and it was pretty hard to do this only by editing httpd.conf

plesk was a perfect solution in 2004 (like for many others) - but nothing special has changed since years
most of the packages are not-up-to-date and many features are not worth a cup of cold piss

Back