• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Assp

mikk

Basic Pleskian
This is somewhat a repost of http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=157693#post157693 regarding ASSP ( http://assp.sourceforge.net/ )
As that was a very old forum post that may not be read any more.

Does anyone have any experience of running ASSP on a FreeBSD plesk system and if so what are the results like, is it a worth while procedure?

Alternativly any other solutions for stopping spam at the smtp connection rather than relying on spamassassin?

Thanks

Ok i guess not many people are using it :)

Are there any other recommended things like this that will run on FreeBSD systems.

SpamAssassin does ok - but as its setup only scans mail going into mailboxes it has its flaws - i want to be able to stop mails that are being forwarded on as well to try to aid in the dreaded AOL feedbacks from users using redirects.

Hi,

Yes i use assp already a couple of months with very very good results.

Check the wiki of assp and search for Plesk!

Originally posted by mikk
is it a worth while procedure?

Yes it is, very much worth it.

We run assp on all our hosting servers and this is our setup:

- assp listens on port 25, forwards to port 125
- /etc/services listens to port 125 (where on linux)
- spamassassin from plesk, we dont use the assp spamfilter
- assp does clamav
- assp does invalid HELO cheks, rbl, and missing MX/A checks

We have found out that assp wont work with drweb installed, but who needs this anyway. I trust clamav far more then some obscure overpriced AV any day.

People cant send mail trough the server, they have to use the smtp server from there own provider for that. This is because home users never have a valid HELO. It also has the bonus that when someone has a virus it wont start using your smtp server to mail and get your ip address on blacklists.

Stats for the last 116 days

Messages Processed: 489365
Messages Passed: 280945
Messages Blocked: 208420

So, yes it is sure worth it

regards
Jan

ASSP works great, but to lighten the load on mail processing on the actual host box I decided to build an anti-spam/virus mail gateway system.

ART has a good project called Project Gamera found here: http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com/Joomla/content/view/77/32/

The only problem with that is Qmail, which in a gateway application I've never found a great way of using call forward techniques to prevent a ton of bounces. Qmail by default accepts all mail. I've built my latest cluster based on Exim 4.66. All MX records point to my mail gateway cluster, which handles all mail spam/virus and content processing and then host routes mail to my PSA servers.

I've found this approach seems to work best. Again, I choose to do this only because my PSA servers are very heavily loaded and I try to leave as much CPU for client usage rather than spam processing.

Those are my thoughts. Everyone has their own approach. If you're looking for someone to handle it, I also provide border mail services as a service.

Thanks,
James

>People cant send mail trough the server, they have to use the smtp server from there own provider for that. This is >because home users never have a valid HELO. It also has the bonus that when someone has a virus it wont start
>using your smtp server to mail and get your ip address on blacklists.

Hi there,

Do you mean that plesk users can't use assp for their outgoing mail? I thought I read somewhere that this can in fact be done. I'm trying to find that document because I'd like to move my assp from a stand alone server and onto my plesk server. Can't until I figure out the outgoing part though.

If you have any additional input on that, it sure would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

In the new plesk, this is actualy solved by plesk. You can let users now use the submission port.

regards
Jan

In the new plesk, this is actualy solved by plesk. You can let users now use the submission port.

regards
Jan

Hi, can you explain this a little. I'm trying to find a way of having plesk send it's outgoing mail to the spam server rather than directly. I see that submission would allow a different outgoing port but not an IP?

Mike

Back