• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

attachment problem with web-based mail

K

kemhosting

First up, some stats on the box:
Redhat ES3
httpd-2.0.46-44.ent
courier-imap-3.0.8-rhel3.build75050130.17
php-imap-4.3.9-11.rhel3.art
php-4.3.9-11.rhel3.art
psa-courier-imap-add-7.5.2-rhel3.build75050130.17
psa-7.5.2-rhel3.build75050130.17

After I've attached any size/type of file in Horde/Squirrelmail and try to send the email, the window sits there and 'thinks' for several minutes. Finally, it then displays this error:

Horde:
There was an error sending your message: unable to send data"

..and in the horde.log:
May 20 11:48:55 HORDE [error] [imp] unable to send data [on line 931 of "/home/httpd/vhosts/webmail/horde/imp/compose.php"]

Squirrelmail:
just sits and spins indefinitely...or at least for 10-15 minutes..no errors...

On the other side, when I try to open attachments, I get this error:

Horde:
(when opening via text link)

when I click the disk icon to download the file, it downloads as the right name and extension, but it really is a text file with this error:
<br />
<b>Notice</b>: (null)(): [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response) (errflg=2) in <b>Unknown</b> on line <b>0</b><br />

Squirrelmail:
(when opening via text link)

when I click the "Download" link:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>

<title>SquirrelMail: ERROR</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
/* avoid stupid IE6 bug with frames and scrollbars */
body {
voice-family: "\"}\"";
voice-family: inherit;
width: expression(document.documentElement.clientWidth - 30);
}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" link="#0000CC" vlink="#0000CC" alink="#0000CC">

<table width="100%" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" align="center" border="0" bgcolor="#ABABAB"><tr><td><table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center" border="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#DCDCDC"><font color="#CC0000"><b>ERROR:</b></font></td></tr><tr><td><table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="5" align="center" border="0"><tr><td align="left"><b><font color="#CC0000">
ERROR : Unknown imap response.</b><br />
Query: FETCH 1622 BODY[2]<br />Server responded: </font><br />

</td>
</tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

has anyone experienced anything like this? my clients are really upset about this huge limitation (obviously) and I''m hitting a brick wall with my debugging attempts.

I have an almost identical setup with the same issue.

I've had SWsoft in troubleshooting it.

They claimed:

As to your main problem: php couldn't find ioncube loader and reported about this into httpd /var/log/httpd/error_log:

Failed loading /usr/lib/ioncube/Ioncube_loader_lin_4.3.so: /usr/lib/ioncube/Ioncube_loader_lin_4.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Failed loading /usr/lib/ioncube/Ioncube_loader_lin_4.3.so: /usr/lib/ioncube/Ioncube_loader_lin_4.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've commented out string with ioncube in /etc/php.ini (because I haven't found ioncube libs on your server) and restarted apache. Now horde works fine and sends mails with attachments without any problems.

Their last statement not true. Problem either was never fixed or never went away.

Have you guys fixed the problem?

I am having the same problem that I cannot download attachments on both Horde and SquirrelMail.

I think the problem is with Courier-IMAP but I cannot find a solution.

I don't know what to do...

:(

Just out of curiosity (since it's not listed in the original post), what version of php-pear are you running?

If you have 'php-imap-4.3.9-11.rhel3.art' then you should also have 'php-pear-4.3.9-11.rhel3.art'

Apparently the error:

<br />
<b>Notice</b>: (null)(): [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response) (errflg=2) in <b>Unknown</b> on line <b>0</b><br />

can be caused by a number of things (Google it), and line 931 of compose.php is the end of a loop and looks to be reporting PEAR_error on a failure.

Hmm, I can't remember if Pear is an absolute requirement since I have it on all servers (even test servers).

Just to make sure, run the following:

rpm -qa |grep 'pear'

and see if anything is listed. You can always install Pear and see if it resolves the problem.

It's not there at all.

I have a test server with a similar setup which works without pear. So I guess pear is not necessary to run Horde or SquirrelMail.

techwide - sorry, I just realized you were not the original poster. Are your error messages identical to kemhosting's?

And have you tried even a simple text attachment like just 'Hello' in a text file? You didn't mention the attachment file types you tried, but check your /usr/share/psa-horde/imp/config/mime_drivers.php file and verify there are mime types for those files you tried.

Have you installed any Horde/IMP addons other than those supplied by Plesk? Many of the google results I found were related to addons causing problems.

You could also force a re-install of the courier-imap related rpms to make sure any corrupted files get re-written. That's all I can think of at the moment...

Yes, I have the same problem as kemhosting but my server is CentOS 3.3. That's why I asked whether the problem was resolved.

A text attachment is also a problem. It seems any attachments cannot be downloaded using Horde or SquirrelMail.

I am only using the packages supplied by Plesk, no Horde/IMP addons installed.

I think I should try to re-install related rpms but a few days ago the problem disappeared and came back again today. Nothing was changed.

Was there ever any solution for the download issues?

Horde is just timing out with attachments, even when trying to download them or to download them as a .zip file. Zips come across as file size of 0 bytes, too.

Sounds like it's pretty universal across multiple server configs pointing to a Horde or Horde-integration issue. My server config is a custom PHP 5.0.4 compile with Plesk 7.5.3 and MySQL 4.1.11 + plus a few 4PSA utilities.

If your Horde framework version is the one issued with Plesk 7.5.3, then you'll probably need to update that to Horde 3.05 (or whatever the latest is). Horde is sensitive to the version of PHP you run on the server.

I have not specifically checked on Horde 3.05 vs PHP 5.0.x issues, but I do know there are/were some issues with Horde lesser versions and PHP 4.4

Problem is not on Horde

The problem is not on Horde since I am getting the same result from SquirrelMail.

It seems it's a system related problem as I have setup squirrelmail on a different server which works fine to download attachments from the problemed server.

I upgraded to the latest version of PSA (which updated Horde) and now attachments work both in Horde and Squirrelmail... Some client's still report occasional problems, but I assume that's more a client-side issue...hopefully..

I really wish I knew WHY the problem arose, but it probably had something to do with me upgrading some package and not another. That's the one thing I really don't like about PSA - you're locked into their RPMs(or the AtomicRocketTurtle ones, which are great btw). With my Debian machine at home I can always stay up to date without hesitation. On my web server I have to investigate each update to make sure it doesn't break Plesk, or wait for Plesk to release their customized version of the package.
Anyways. I guess my advice would be to simply upgrade PSA as a whole.

FWIW: I can never get the PSA update tool to work in the web admin tool. I always download the tarred batch of RPMs and do it manually.

good luck.
ed

Back