• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup and Restore

T

troymc

Can someone please explain the backup and restore procedure for Plesk 8? I have a server and want to do and backup and restore it on a different server, but get errors every time. Here is what I have done. I ran this on my first box.
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --domains mybackupfile -list domains.txt
Where domains.txt is a file that contains the domain names that I want to backup. I then transfer that over to my new box. Then run this
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --create-map mybackupfile -map map.txt
But the map.txt is not right. Here it is
[] # Client account does not exist.

mydomain.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # ip address has improper value xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
The ip listed in here is the ip of my old box. So I created my own map file and tried this.
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore mybackup -level domains -filter mydomain.com -map map.txt
And get this.
File does not readable :
And thats it. What am I doing wrong here?

Hi,

You have invalid map file because backup was created for domain only.

Use the following command for checking map file:
pleskrestore --validate-map map.txt

You have to specify client login in map file before restoring backup. Change line
'[] # Client account does not exist' to '[someclient]'

The domain mydomain.com will be restored for client 'someclient'

thanks.

Also, you have to specify ip address for client. The right map will have such text as
[someclient]
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

mydomain.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Well I created a new map file as you specified.

[someclient]
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

mydomain.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I still get the same error when I try to restore. The map file does validate, but when I run the restore command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore backupfile -level domains -filter mydomain.com -map map.txt

I still get:

File does not readable :

Any ideas?

Well if anyone else if having this proble using this command works for the restore:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore backupfile -level domains -map map.txt

I also have this exact problem.
"File does not readable"
I have created the map files as per doco, and map file validates.
Am searching through forums now to try and find answer.

Comment on the backup utilites:
pleskbackup does not workable.
pleskrestore does not workable.

I too am having this problem, has anyone come up trumps yet and managed to restore?

I got this to work by using the --create-map option and then editing the map as per the instructions given in the documentation

happy days

When making a backup where is the archive stored?

If I run the command while in /home/backup

will the archive be placed in the current dir?

Chuck

Not sure, I did the backup via the web interface then saved it locally and slung it up to my server via FTP, so im just not sure. you could always try the find command.

I have to say that after countless hours of worry and me trying to get my problem sorted out, I contact sw-soft support.

They very quickly sorted out my problem via logging on remotely, and my domain and all related services (databases, mailboxes etc) are all up and running.

I have never dealt with such superior support and can't praise them enough. I did not expect them to be too fussed about my problems, or expected them to simply say "sorry backup incompatible" or some other reasonable thing.

But no they spent the time and got me back up and running.

PLESK has it's occasional bugs but as far as I am concerned it is the best product on the market, and the support is the icing on the cake. Try getting that support from Microsoft or Apple.

So if you cannot resolve the problem via the forum, please contact them and I am sure they can help.

Again, thank you SWSOFT!

Originally posted by oztec
So if you cannot resolve the problem via the forum, please contact them and I am sure they can help. Again, thank you SWSOFT!

Have you got a support agreement with them? Ie. do you pay them money for support?

Sam

No in this instance because there was probably a problem with the software and not my fault, they fixed it free of charge.

Well, I haven't received a bill yet anyway!

Even if I had to pay for it, I would be very very happy because they did it quickly, professionally and it's working.

Did you just buy the software, and did you buy it directly from SWsoft? If so, it would be covered by their 30 day support.

Sam

I've been a customer for many years. I recently renewed the SUS (about 1-2 months ago) but apart from that I don't have any support plan.

I was just nice to them, and they were nice to me. And like they claim, I believe that they stand by their software and won't just go charging if is is a problem of their doing.

Cheers

Joel

I asked, because i've just recently purchased another server with ev1, and it went cactus (running 8.0.1) after a day.

When I approached SWsoft for help, assuming it would be covered by the 30-day support, they fobbed me off to ev1 for assistance.

As a result of all this buck-passing, it took 3 days to get my server back online. Not good.

Sam

If this is still actual - " -filter mydomain.com" should be " -filter list:mydomain.com"

pleskrestore tries to read file mydomains.com

Back