• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup / Restore questions

R

ronhudson

I have a windows server 2003 system with Plesk 7.5.1. I am using the mailenable mail server. My operating system has become corrupted and I need to have it reloaded. The present plan is to get a good backup and then to install a new drive with a fresh operating system and plesk installed. Then we will do a restore to the new drive. The old drive will be left in as a permanent second drive so that I can retrieve data from it. Later we will use it for backups in the future.

The documentation is not really clear as to the extent of the data backed up with the plesk backup/restore utility, and I can't find any info at all in the knowledgebase.

It appears all the domain information and data is backed up, but is the mail backed up? If so, all mail content and configuration data?

If I use the plesk backup/restore utility before the new drive is installed, is there anything else I need to have or do to be able to fully restore the server domains and mail, etc. after the new drive is installed?

Thanks,

Ron

if you'll do backup on working Plesk all data will be backuped.
But if your system is crushed and you are not able to to backup it is better to contact Plesk support team.
They'll restore you manually.

Thanks for the reply.

The system is running, now, but it cannot be rebooted. If it is shut down, it will not restart.

This is a dedicated server that I do not have personal access to. I plan to do the full backup while the system is still running, and ftp a copy of the backup to my workstation. Then I will have the techs stop the system and put in the new primary hard drive, leaving the old hard drive in as a secondary. After that, I will do a restore.

Just wanting to make sure that the backup will have everything I need for a full restore to the time when we shut down the machine.

Ron

You can also make drive image backup, to quickly restore production server

John S.G.

You think I should make an image of the corrupt server?

It is the best way for you to do Plesk's backup.
Then you'll restore it on a new system with Plesk 7.5.6+

For the worst case scenario image backup will be also in place
John S.G.

Back