1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

bad revDNS zone created in DNS severs

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.2 Distributed Services Topics (Mail, DNS, Databases)' started by bartu, Sep 29, 2008.

1. bartu

bartu Guest

Hi there,
    I'm running expand 2.2.3 with 2 cDNS servers (dns1.domain.com and dns2.domain.com). When i create PTR record in my plesk server both of the DNS servers create zone files x.x.x.in-addr.arpa. Sadly both of the files are created wrong. Their SOA records have different values ('minimum'), but the most important bug is that two 'NS' records that are created are in this form:
    IN NS dns1. (the only NS record on dns1.domain.com server)
    IN NS dns2. (the only NS record on dns2.domain.com server)
    but it shold be like this on both servers:
    IN NS dns1.doman.com.
    IN NS dns2.doman.com.
    The PTR records are created correctly.
    Maybe anyone can help me with that

2. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    What do you use DNS and Plesk DNS modes in Expand for Plesk servers assigned to dns1.domain.com and dns2.domain.com?

3. bartu

bartu Guest

I've one plesk server attached to cDNS server. Its 'DNS mode' and 'plesk DNS mode' are both master

4. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    Is dns1.domain.com and dns2.domain.com the master-servers or is dns1.domain.com the master-server and dns2.domain.com the slave-server?

5. bartu

bartu Guest

dns1 is a master, dns2 is a slave assigned to dns1. Plesk server is assigned to dns1 as a 'plesk server'
    BTW version of DNScontroller software is 3.0.1-2

6. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    The such processing of reverse zones in the Expand is not implemented yet. However you can register both dns1 and dns2 servers at reverse zones registrar to resolve your problem.

7. bartu

bartu Guest

The DNS service provided by plesk/expand platform is supposed to be my company's primary DNS source. So there is no way my clients can manage reverse dns by creating new zones?

8. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    You do not need to have both records on each DNS server.

9. bartu

bartu Guest

While defining name servers in RIPE for any zone there must be at least two name servers configured with NS records. On each server records must point to each server mentioned in RIPE reqest. Otherwise request will fail.
    Right now there is no way of plesk diong it right. I have to edit zone files on both servers manually. That's not what plesk is for. BTW na plesk server zone is also done in a wrong way (the same as in central DNS servers)

10. gold

gold Regular Pleskian

57%
    At present time you can only edit zone files manually.