• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best Alternative to CentOS-4.3 for one server

A

ArizonaSky

I Use CentOS-4.3 for all my servers but have one with a Supermicro P3TDEi MB that I can't use CentOS-4.3 on because the sensor chip (a lm87) is not supported till the 2.6.10 kernel and I need to monitor cpu temps and fan speeds with lm_sensors.

Which of these OS would be the best alternative with stability being most important? Any thoughts or considerations appreciated...

SUSE 10.0 (Desktop)
Fedora Core 4
Ubuntu 5.10

Really like SUSE but being a desktop version would it be stable enough?

Ubuntu Server and SUSE are both very nice and the setups were well done but didn't realize things differ quite a bit such as yum / apt-get and rpm / alien....having trouble getting webmin to install. Sure would like to keep things simple with the OS.

Just wondering if Fedora is stable enough since isn't it supposed to be leading edge?

I'd definitely go with CentOS over Fedora for a business server. If you've got the latest and greatest hardware, or need the latest features (like hardware support), then FC4 is the way to go.

I would too but can't on this particular server as the current CentOS kernel doesn't have support for the lm87 sensor chip. Don't want to mess with rebuilding the kernel.

So just trying to figure out which of the 3 OS would be best. I still would prefer stability even if it meant having to deal with all the quirks between a different distro.

I guess SUSE is out as it's a desktop (can't spend the $349 yr for the Ent. Serv.)

See a lot of posts about Fedora not being for production servers. If it was stable I'd probably go with it to keep things simple as I am use to the RedHat way of doing things verses Debians.

Ubuntu server seems nice but I think it's their first release though the documentation is easy to find and well done.

Back