• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best way to install Fedora8 for Plesk

deltatech

Regular Pleskian
I am building a new server and want to know what the best installation choices are that will make plesk happy.

Do I use selinux?

Do I use the fedora firewall?

How many of fedora's packages do I install and which ones?

It seems to me that Plesk wants to have a lot of control over the OS so it would make sense that there should be some documentation someplace that specifies the best way to install an OS just for Plesk.

Does such documentation exist? Can anyone point me to it?

selinux, probably not.
linux firewall, probably not as Plesk has a built-in firewall that you can install, which makes it compatible.

Do a minimal install for fedora. By the way, why use Fedora? Don't you get tired of the never ending upgrades?

Also, consider using ASL, which uses the PaX/GRSECURITY kernel and mod_security, which is great!

There is an installation guide on Plesk's documentation page: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/plesk/docs/

Answers to your questions:

* You have to disable SELinux before installing Plesk. You can enable it afterwards if you like.
* You can install Plesk's firewall module and use that or run your own. Your choice.
* Do a minimal OS install before installing Plesk.

And yeah, I also don't recommend using Fedora unless you're particularly fond of doing OS upgrades every couple of months. We like to use CentOS instead.

Back