1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Black Listing IP Addresses

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by jcoulter, Feb 11, 2006.

1. jcoulter

jcoulter Guest

Is there a way to black list IP addresses?

2. jwdick

jwdick Guest

ban ip addresses from the entire server with the hosts.deny file and for just email, add the ip address to the black list in <SERVER><MAIL><Black List>

3. jcoulter

jcoulter Guest

Where is the host.deny located?

I tried adding to the server blacklist but it only allows email addresses and won't accept IPs. Unless I'm typing it in wrong.

Thanks

4. jwdick

jwdick Guest

I apologize about the misinformation with the black list. You are correct, only email addresses can be entered there.

The hosts.deny file is in the "/etc" directory.

Format for adding an ip is:

ALL:xx.xx.xx.xx

5. jcoulter

jcoulter Guest

Cool Beans.

I'm assuming it will block email, as that is really what I want.

Will the deny work with partial addresses? Such as xx.xx.xx ?

Thanks again,

6. jwdick

jwdick Guest

It will use partial addresses. use XX.XX.XX.

It will stop everything after the last dot.

7. gauerj1

gauerj1 Guest

Does anyone know about wild card domains. Example I get lots of spam from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.blabla.fr or XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.blabla.de.

I want to block the whole domain blabla.de. I'm pretty sure I cant do a wild card via plesk but I'm sure there's some qmail place I can. Anyone konw where off hand.?

8. rbuhler

rbuhler Guest

Qmail uses a control file to filter domain names. The file is normally located at /var/qmail/control/badmailfrom, and will reject any email addresses or domain placed in this file.
    You can block single email address or whole domain such as:
    spammer@example.com
    @example.net

9. gauerj1

gauerj1 Guest

Thanks rbuhler,

This will let me put one entry in to block subdomains sub1.blabla.de, sub2.blabla.de... and so on by just adding some similar to *blabla.com (I'll figure syntax later).