1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Call for feedback

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by superbock, Dec 12, 2006.

1. superbock

superbock Guest

Hello,

We are considering a move to Expand, but we'd like some feedback from the forum community, if possible.

We'd like to know how seamless it is (or isn't) the migration of standalone plesk servers (let's say 5) to a setup where you have 1 DNS server, 1 Qmail server and 1 MySQL server, and multiple web servers (this ones beeing the "old" standalones).

And what is expected to change for clients. Any specific nuisance, any particular change in the usual way of doing things in the control panel?

What about C-MySQL experiences? What's your hardware setup and how well it performs?

Also, how well Expand handles a mixed environment, where you have Windows and Linux boxes? We are Linux 100% for now, but we want to put a foot on the .NET hosting business. Does a Windows box integrate well it's mail and SQL with Expand?

Any other info regarding Expand usage, and it's success or insuccess, is appreciated.

Thank you in advance guys!

2. CryoGenID

CryoGenID Regular Pleskian

90%
    Hello!

We're using Expand with C-DNS, C-Mail and C-DB's.

Unfortunately, C-MySQL is currently (i haven't checked if that changed with Plesk 8.1) NOT supported by Plesk for Windows. :-(

I think you'll run into difficulties with the migration from your stand-alone boxes into the C-Mail-system.

AFAIK you cannot transfer your mail.

But I'm not sure on that one as we did a completely new installation of everything and then transferred all domains manually.
    (Yes, that did take a _lot_ of time but we could be sure everything worked because we didn't trust the migration-scripts...)

I hope that helped you a bit :)

3. Cranky

Cranky Guest

CMail can transfer mail for Linux, but not for Windows.

4. eugenevdm

eugenevdm Silver Pleskian

68%
    Carefully plan your e-mail migration because that's where we had a lot of issues...make sure you know about every single potential e-mail issue, e.g.

* No Windows Mailbox migration
    * Do you really want to wait for content migration on Linux
    * DNS will be updated so setup must be complete
    * etc.