• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Calling on the Plesk Community

X

xerex

My question is, Plesk 7 for Windows or Plesk 7 Reloaded for Linux? Which one is better, and could you please give a couple of key points to support your answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

As a member of Plesk for Windows team, I should say Windows, but from my past experience I say both - there are people who would want to host PHP on Unix, others will need ASP.NET.

If you have to choose one, and you will tell more about your specific situation, I'll try to help you make that choice informed.

Well I am looking for the most secure solution. Also will features that are in Plesk Reloaded be availabe in the Windows version anytime in the near future.

I would think that Windows is a little more universal, due to the fact that you can host ASP and PHP pages, where as Linux has support for PHP but when it comes to ASP it has support for it, but some ASP pages will not display correctly.

Are there any negative factors that I sould be aware of?

It depends what your definition of "better" is.

Plesk for *NIX has been around for 4 years, Plesk for Windows has only been around 6 months.

Plesk is only the interface to the server, you should be basing your decisions on which server you would want to use, your clients would want to host on and that you would be most familiar with.

Originally posted by xerex
Well I am looking for the most secure solution. Also will features that are in Plesk Reloaded be availabe in the Windows version anytime in the near future.

I would think that Windows is a little more universal, due to the fact that you can host ASP and PHP pages, where as Linux has support for PHP but when it comes to ASP it has support for it, but some ASP pages will not display correctly.

Are there any negative factors that I sould be aware of?

Yes, features from Plesk Reloaded will be included into the next Windows version. As to negative factors, you should be aware that you would not be able to host as many of PHP sites on Windows as on Unix box with the same resources. If you plan for massive hosting, using Unix for PHP and Windows for ASP is better for density than placing all accounts on one box.

Originally posted by jaytee
Yes, features from Plesk Reloaded will be included into the next Windows version.
Any list of new features, or any planned dates for beta testing yet?
After all the testing of the migrator for 6.5 -> 7.0 I found it was going to take about 10 hours (estimated) on a production server to upgrade! I'll be starting doing them using the BU this Monday :)

Yes, there will be quite a few new features in the first 7.5 beta (the date will be announced soon). Major ones are support for Merak Mail, Serv-U FTP, Gene6 FTP, MS DNS, better support of subdomains, separate handling of MySQL and MS-SQL databases, improvements targeting ASP.NET developers, many other user-requested features.

Some of these improvements will make their way into Plesk 7 as well - in the future service packs.

Back