1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Plesk Expand manage central e-mail with Plesk Windows 7.5.6

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by eugenevdm, Jan 2, 2006.

1. eugenevdm

eugenevdm Silver Pleskian

68%
    Could somebody tell me if Plesk Expand will help me manage Windows and Plesk servers, with regards to centralized e-mail?

According to the web site it does not look possible, however, apparently the software reports that from Plesk Windows 7.5.6 this is possible. Well Plesk Windows 7.5.6 has been released to I would like an answer to this question.

2. eugenevdm

68%
    bump

The silence is deafening!

This is really a simple question that could do with a simple answer.

I suppose either nobody is monitoring this board or everyone is too busy to reply.

I'll post it in the Windows Forum, and let's see if somebody (especially SW-Soft) will respond.

Yawn.

3. back

back Guest

I can't even get a 7.5.6 server to register in Expand, it finds the server ok but craps out with a stupid error trying to add it.

4. eugenevdm

68%
    It was recommended that I e-mail sales@sw-soft.com to ask them the question of Windows compatibility on Plesk 7.5.6. I have done so. Just for good measure I also e-mailed info@sw-soft.com. I'm still waiting for the response and will post if here as soon as I get a reply.

5. back

back Guest

I opened a support ticket about this, there is good news.

7.5.6 does work with Expand but support had to send a new AgentServer.php file. Once that was set up, the server added to Expand without a problem. Apparently there will be a hotfix for this soon.

Best of all, it is also meant to work with the centralised mail server. But when I tried to assign the Windows server to the mail server, it once again gave numerous errors. The support staff need to access our servers to correct this problem.

So to answer your original question, yes Expand will help manage Windows and yes it (should) work with a centralised mail server.

6. eugenevdm

68%
    This certainly is very good news.

Could you also recommend a platform for Expand? I notice on the website:

* Server configuration of Red Hat® Linux 9.0
    * Server configuration of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 3 (AS/ES)
    * Server configuration of Fedora Core 1

Although it is mentioned that Red Hat 9.0 and FC1 support is being discontinued.

Are we really restrictred to running RHEL 3 ?

7. normanu

normanu Guest

Plesk Expand is only supported on RHEL ...
    We have Expand allthough I'm not confinced that it was worth the money ...

Maybe in the future when full seperation is supported (like databases / mail / dns etc etc) it would be more intresseting.

For now the DNS hack from Webturtle would do just fine.....
    Also for central management you have nice Billing software which work just fine with the API....

So unless the new version brings allot of new features I wouldn't advice it.

8. back

back Guest

Hi, they're still supporting us on FC1 and it's been working fine. I share the concern about the lack of supported distributions though :(

Expand is the right solution for us because we're a fairly big company with an in-house billing system. The API is a real gem, and it allows us to provide tools for our CS and sales staff to create/modify/remove accounts without any technical intervention.

We don't use central DNS because our own solution is far more robust and reliable.

We use centralised mail because we're hosting over 10,000 domains. The central mail allows us to use one chunky server for the mail, and smaller servers for the web hosting.

If I read the last Windows hotfix notes properly then centralised database management isn't far away.

Back to the question at hand though :) Centralised mail is meant to work with Windows 7.5.6 but it's broken and needs to be fixed. We've had the sw-soft people on our servers and they have seen the problem, so it's only a matter of time now.

9. normanu

normanu Guest

I think the windows plesk is much further advanced then the linux one.
    I would like to see all those windows features like awstats in linux aswell, and much more......

Did u write ur own billing solution ?
    We have AWBS as our backend which we are connecting to our accounting software.

Curious how ur solution is working.