• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can someone confirm if this is right?

1stjambon

New Pleskian
Ok this is probably a dumb question but I'm new to the whole backup tool in Plesk and I wanted to be sure I'm understanding exactly how this works.

I've created a full server backup with clients and content and stored it in the local repo.

Now my question is with restoring... The whole reason for the backup is that some updates are going to be done to the server and I was told that some data loss might happen.

In this event, will the backup I've created allow be to restore the data? So if I have 20+ domains on my site right now and these updates cause all the sites to break and get deleted. If I do a full restore of my backup will those sites be restored?

As well, I'm confused as to if a full server backup includes components such as php...etc. If I do a full restore will my old versions of those components be restored as well, or does this just mean plesk setting, domains, clients and their data?

And finally, I've copied everything from the /var/lib/psa/dumps/ folder to my home directory (just in case). If plesk gets destroyed and has to be reinstalled what will happen to the backups in the local repo? Will they be lost? Can I easily recover them by copying the contents of my /var/lib/psa/dumps/ backup to that location again if Plesk gets reinstalled?

Thanks for your help!

So is anyone here actually answering quesitons or is this forum just full of people posting questions? This doesn't seem to be that hard of a question here... anyone?

Your not alone. Be Patient :)
I am having troubles restoring a full server backup due to a bug in the tar command of the ./pleskbackup script. I'm not sure what happens in your case. I got a very quick response from Igor. I suggest that you test restoring the backup before updating.

Maurits.

Back