• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cannot delete files/folders because of Nordic characters!

M

Markus@

I use RHEL with Plesk 7.5.4 (licensed)

I get ezvery day tons of people that cannot delete folders and files.

Mostly becaus ephp scripts locks out the user by changing file rights.

But today i get the following:

Could you please remove the following folders, because i cannot delete or
rename them:
591 structural funds
591 structural funds project

I guess the problems has to do with strange characters (like =E6 and =E5) f=
rom
Nordic languages in the file names in those folders.
Thanks!

ls and bash file completion are your friends

To show an escaped version of your directory listing use
Code:
ls -b

To remove it rm and type characers up to and including the slash, then just hit tab and watch the magic

All filenames include \ slashes.

When using an ftp client these \ slashesdoes not come trough.

I used rm -fr directoryname and i got some dissapeared.

BUT i had a problem, one of the folde rnames where taken as root and guess what happend.

All system files where deleted altough i typed in the correct path.

I am looking forward what Plesk go to do about this issue, its already very long time around!

And now i had to restore my server for a very stupid bug.

051102_Workflow\ monitoring\ EWN.xls
Background\ Info EWN\ Members
Quality\ management
051128_\ EWN_\ Workflow\ monitoring.xls
Contracts
Project\ (Technopolis)\
Requests&Proposals

lol

Try logging directly into the machine not using an ftp client. I recommend a program called putty (it is free). Go directly to the directory you are having problems with and use the instructions I gave above to remove the files. This is not a plesk issue per say but a filesystem issue and an issue with your ftp program.

**** YOU PLESK

I HAVE WORKED 3 YEARS DAY AND NIGHT AND ALL MY CUSTOMERS ARE LOST.

I DID A SSH COMMAND

RM -FR /HOMEDIR/Project\ (Technopolis)\

AND ALL MY FILES ARE DELETED BECAUSE THE \ WAS TOOK AS THE ROOT SYSTEM.

**** YOU PLESK! **** YOU!

ALL THE WORK I DID, ALWAYS STAYED WITH YOU GUYS AND SAW ALLOT OFF PEOPLE GOING DOWN LAST 3 YEARS WITH PLESK, NOW ITS MY TURN AND I DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP BECAUSE PLESK DOES NOT HAVE IT, OR IT DOIES NOT FULLY WORK AS IT NEEDS TO WORK.

It is too late now but: Why did you do a rm -rf ? Who told you to take such an extreme measure? The instructions I gave were to do a ln -b and then use tab completion for each file.

BTW: I feel it nesc to mention I am just a poor plesk customer like yourself and not a representative of the company.

i was aware of my rm -fr action and what it did.

i used it because the directory was not empty.

i like plesk allot, but i am ill in my head, you understand?

3 years work, my monthly income is gone!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

i will go to reinstall RHEL without removing the partition.

then i will run a Plesk install wich will detect current installation and will repair it.

only the sites till b are away, other data is still available.

problem is, i rent the server.

hopefully the company i am with can help me overwriting current RHEL installation so the os boots again so i can upgrade plesk 7.5.4 to 7.5.4(overwrite/reinstall)

and hopefully, hopefully everything is back ok within 48 hours.

otherwise i will stop doing business(now that i just rented a rack in my neighborhoud wich cannot be paid anymore because of this stupid PLESK BUG)

if it does not come back ok, lots of people will lose trust.

i did 3 migrations past 3 years (1 time a year)

it was a pain in the ***, but everything came ok on the end.

I HOPE THIS ONE ALSO DOES, i really hope!

otherwise i think i going to be a criminal.

i did not desarved this! 3 years work day and night, best server around, now could rent a rack in my own country and now this happends!

i almost was went crazy with a stress black out, just on time i said, no stress Markus, we know the Plesk hassle, just pray this one comes back ok, you have expierience.

so lets hope!

I know you're angry and in shock, but what you did in shell really doesn't have anything to do with Plesk.

As harsh as it sounds, this was your mistake and as soon as you get to terms with it, the sooner you'll feel better and work more efficiently to repair it. You were man enough to use rm -rf on a directory with odd characters (despite the advice you got here), now be a man enough to admit whose fault was it.

If you still need somebody to blame, you might as well choose a plain old brick instead of Plesk or Plesk's forum. Atleast it won't talk back and it has as much to do with this mess as Plesk does ;)

the backup is hanging, the restore is hanging, and this all has to do with plesk, that i need to restore site per site because all in one time will hang.

plesk now is almost stable and bugfree, but still not enough to help me after the 1000$ i paid!

fully bugfree and automated back-up restore plesk software must come now! because this is not the first time, its since plesk 2.5

the whole system is messed up, tried to upgrade to RHEL4 but system not want to boot.

i will forced to shut down my business if this does not comes ok.

i have backups from psabackup but half folders are missen and most sites dont fully restore.

my heart is having troubles, i will go to sleep now.

i hate you plesk, you ****.

system is now upgraded from RHEL3.0 to 4.0

only the control panel is still down.

apache also was, because sites till b where deleted.

the dc technician has also fixed that by removing the non existing dirs!

i just asked for a os upgrade and told what my problem was.

damn, i am happy sites are back online so i can go to sleep after 2 days non sleeping and 470 phonecalls later...

shame on you plesk, still no fast and descend working automated back-up/restore, altough i like the migration manager!

Plesk, do something about the back-ups!

I have saw +5 other companies going down forever, now it was my turn, but happely i am 95% back online.

Happely!

Back