• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can't connect to localhost:25

phoenixisp

Silver Pleskian
OK, I really screwed the pooch somehow. Since upgrading to 7.5.4 on a RH 9 box, and updating Spamassassin, a lot of spam was getting through that wasn't prior to the updates. So - I started playing with rule sets, etc. I wound up uninstalling SA and ART's qmail-scanner, but now - even without them I can't connect to port 25. I've tried telnet, no good. I tried webmail and Outlook - no good.

Where did I mess up? I tried the maillog, even tailed it, but there's no errors because no connection is being made. Also, I disabled the firewall.

Help please!

Thanks,

Sonny

Here's another little problem, it must be related. I figured maybe the database was affected, so I did:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v

And came up with:

[root@host1 queue]# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v
mchk: db_connect: failed to connect to database: Error: Too many connections
mchk: Unable to connect to the Plesk database

And of course I stopped mysql and started it again - no good! I can though read the database using phpMyAdmin.

Argghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's what happens when I try to send from Horde:

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to 127.0.0.1:25 in /usr/share/psa-horde/pear/Net/Socket.php on line 108

Check the contents of:

/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf

/var/qmail/control/me
/var/qmail/control/locals
/var/qmail/control/localiphost
/var/qmail/control/helohost

Make sure your domain's DNS is still resolving properly.

See if anything is listening on port 25:

netstat -an |grep ':25'

And if qmail is running in memory:

ps -ax |grep 'qmail'

Thanks jamesyeeoc, but I just found the problem.
Some how, the line that begins with -Rt0 .... in smtp_psa had a line break in it. Tightened it up and most of my problems went away.

Still getting the error when trying to do mchk. Resetting these mailboxes individually would be a real waste of the weekend:cool:

Yes, random line breaks in that file do cause havoc, sorry I didn't think of that.

Surprisingly, I have posted about that in my replies so often, I guess it finally slipped a brain cell :)

That's the drag, I should know better. But I just don't know how it happened. I haven't edited that file lately.

Yes, with 7.5.4 there seems to be a lot of weirdness going on...

How about this database thing

[root@host1 queue]# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v

I sure don't feel like spending the holiday weekend setting up email account settings.

There was an old post in 6.0 where the poster had to
I put this in the /usr/local/psa/mysql/var/my.cnf file:
[mysqld]
set-variable = max_connections=500

Then ran /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk –v again and it failed again so I upped max_connections to 1000 and ran it again. This time it ran with no errors. I watched the connections grow as it ran so I know it was using that many connections.

Also was you mysql updated recently, like when you were doing the SA and qmail-scanner?

I saw another thread similar to that one, but it had the wrong syntax and I kept getting sock errors. I did this one and it worked!

Only once I ran it there was no effect. All of the user's spamassassin settings were lost. I won't know what else until the phone starts ringing.

Thanks Mr. jamesyeeoc

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but when I run :
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v

I get : Segmentation fault :(

You are probably running Plesk 7.5.4 with at least the 2nd update. This is a known problem covered in at least one or two other threads. IIRC there still has been no fix or replacement mchk utility from Plesk.

If you happen to have an old backup from before (like maybe the first release of 7.5.4) you could try restoring that one and trying it, I don't know if anyone else has tried it.

Back