1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

CDNS will not synch when duplicate domain added

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.2 Distributed Services Topics (Mail, DNS, Databases)' started by SHGreg, Oct 2, 2007.

1. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Hello,

When a Plesk client adds a domain to their account it brings down the CDNS if the domain already exists on another Plesk server.

How do I stop clients adding a domain that already exists? Or how do I prevent CDNS from failing because of such a minor problem?

2. girin

girin Guest

Hi,

You can simply ignore this problem dns zone.
    Just go to "Centralized DNS > Central DNS Zones", select the zone you want to ignore ang press "Inore Zone" button.

3. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Thanks, however I'm asking if there is an automated way of preventing Expand throwing up hundreds of errors and sending emails for such a minor issue (without admin intervention to get things working again).

4. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    CDNS is not failed in Expand 2.2.1 on that issue. It will put duplicate zone to "Conflict" state, but other zones should work okay.

What is a reason of adding the same domain twice manually on two different Plesk servers? Why your users do that? How often they do that? Which zone do you expect on CDNS - zone of a domain created last or zone of a domain created first?

Gentlemen, are there anybody else experiencing the same problem?

5. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Hello Expand,

I'm afraid I do not know the answers to your questions but it has occurred three times so far. Expand puts red crosses for the name servers and a list of hundreds or thousands of errors which is why I assumed there are major problems for such a minor issue. It would be nice if Expand behaved differently, possibly preventing a user from adding a domain that already exists in another account. A user shouldn't be able to so easily create problems for the administrator.

6. slamp

slamp Guest

the reasons can be for example. they want the website to be on a windows plesk but e-mail on linux plesk. mailenable standard does not have imap support and also it has many security vulnerabilities comparing to the linux solution. this actually happens alot over here. i hope it can be fixed.

7. Sergey L

43%
    Well, having 2 servers with same set of domains you can easily avoid duplicated zones if you do not assign second Plesk server to Central DNS.

For having mail and web on 2 other servers, there is a special solution in Plesk Expand. The server which hosts mail shall be registered as Central mail server. Using this solution, duplicated zones would not appear, as mail domains are ignored by Central DNS subsystem.

8. Sergey L

43%
    We have a solution proposal for this problem. Each Plesk server will get a new property "DNS Priority" having a value say 0 to 1000. Then you enable special server option "Automatically resolve DNS conflicts preferring domains from Plesk server of higher priority". If there are 2 conflicting domains (same name) from 2 different servers, the central DNS subsystem will chosoe a domain from a server of higher "DNS priority".

Does this solution fit your purposes?

9. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Hello Expand,

I'm sure your suggestion would help others, but not me in this case. I would like to have an option to tell Expand to synch the original domain and automatically ignore any duplicate domains. If the original domain is removed the other record would be synched.

10. Sergey L

43%
    How could Expand identify the original domain among others? Is it the first processed domain?

11. slamp

slamp Guest

grau, that would solve so many problems. just recently we disabled a domain because they weren't paying the bill. when the domain was re-enabled, there were duplicate entries in the zone.

12. Sergey L

43%
    This option is not implelented yet. That is a proposal only.

13. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

I'm not sure how all the logic works in Expand but rather than have it logging hundreds of errors about the duplicate domain, an option to set it to automatically ignore the 'just added' domain records would be good for me.

I guess it could also be set to send out an email to the admin about the ignored zones.