1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Central MySQL Servers - Client Choices

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.2 New Feature Requests' started by CSN-Carl, Jan 22, 2008.

1. CSN-Carl

CSN-Carl Regular Pleskian

57%
    As an administrator when adding a new database to a domain I'm given the option to choose the server/version (We have 2 MySQL servers, v4 and v5).

Clients can only create databases on the "default" MySQL server and don't get the choice to choose the server/version.

Would it be possible to allow clients to choose the version/server of MySQL they wish to use? As the code is already in for administrators I'd imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to get it in for clients.

Thanks,

Carl

2. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    Currently it is not possible technically. This option would probably be available with future Plesk versions.

Regards

3. CSN-Carl

57%
    I know it's not possible at the moment, that's why it's a New Feature Request ;)

Thanks

4. Sergey L

43%
    Do you want all of your clients able to use this option? Or you'd like to forbid it for some of them? Or you'd like to manage which clients can use which DB servers? Or probably you'd like to limit clients in number of databases created on each server? E.g. 10 databases on db1.myhost.com and 15 databases on db2.myhost.com.

Which option will fit your needs? Your answer would help SWsoft to developer this feature properly.

Regards

5. CSN-Carl

57%
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

What would be good if is Client Templates in Plesk where updated so limits can be set for MySQL4 and MySQL5 at the moment it's just MySQL.

And then when clients try to add a new databases they are given a drop down menu (v4 or v5) just like admins.

Not really bothered about limiting DB's per server.

6. Sergey L

43%
    Okay, thank you. It would help us.

7. Cranky

Cranky Guest

I think the way it would work best for the majority of my customers would be this:

1) It's a permission, not a limit.
    2) Permission is something simple like "Ability to select from all public database servers"
    3) In database management have the ability to set public and private database servers. For existing servers obviously we would need Plesk updater to set them all to private by default.
    4) Administrator then set those DB servers he wants his clients to see to "public". Any client with permission "ability to use all public db servers" can see all "public" servers.
    5) Administrator sets DB servers he wants only administrator to see to "private" (which is also the default). Only admin can see these servers, and perhaps they can be used by App Vault if admin prefers.

I'm not even sure the permission mentioned in 2) is *required*, it could come later if it will take much time to add. I would expect Carl and many of my other customers would prefer this feature sooner rather than later so anything to save time implementing the request would be good?

What do you both think?

8. Cranky

Cranky Guest

Also, if the permission is *not* granted to a domain/client, the domain/client is only able to use the default DB server.

9. Sergey L

43%
    Thank you, Cranky.
    Your contribution is valuable as always. :)

Regards

10. CSN-Carl

57%
    This sounds perfect! :)

11. Cranky

Cranky Guest

I'm sure Sergey will sort this for you. :)

Sergey, let me know if you have any questions or want feedback on this - you know how to contact me. ;)

12. CSN-Carl

57%
    Are we any closer to having this feature implemented? :)