1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

How do you have your Centralized DNS setup?

2 name servers added as 'Master'?
    1 name server as 'Master' with the other set as a slave to that master?
    Something different?

When adding Plesk servers (Linux) should I add them to both name servers, setting them both as 'Master' and Plesk as 'Hidden Master'? Or
    Add the Plesk server to just one name server (if the second name server is set to slave for the other master)

2. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Should I add the 2 name servers to Expand (ns1 & ns2) then assign both of them to my Plesk servers, ns1 as master and ns2 as slave?

Or

Add the 2 servers to Expand and set ns2 as a slave to ns1 and just add the ns1 name server to my Plesk servers? (I noticed doing it this way only adds the ns1 DNS record to a domain, no ns2)

Thanks for any help or advice.

3. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    Probably the best configuration for you would be 2 name servers added as 'Master' to each Plesk server.

Though having both servers in Master mode produces additional loading on Expand server, some providers claim slave servers do not work reliable as UDP protocol (not guaranteed delivery) is used by bind for sending notification between DNS servers.

4. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Thanks.

I have just de-assigned a Plesk server from a name server and now all domains on the Plesk server have had the following record added to their DNS:

domain.com NS ns.domain.com

Why has _removing_ a DNS server _added_ a useless record? How do I remove this record from all domains on the Plesk server now affected?

5. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    If you install new Plesk server and create a domain, you will see such records in each new zone. When you assign Plesk to CDNS, Expand removes such recors. When you deassign Plesk from CDNS, Expand restores these record.

If you assign Plesk server back to CDNS, these records wil be removed again.

6. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Thanks Expand,

None of the domains had that record before as I had removed it from the servers DNS template.

I have added the two name servers as Master in Expand and added each one to each Plesk server, that record has indeed been removed :) Is there a way to remove any matching record from all the servers domains? Some way of removing, for example, any record matching 'domain.variable NS ns1.oldnameserver.com'?

7. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Does anyone know how to do this?

If you are running Central DNS, can you please let me know how you have your servers setup? I have nothing but problems and failures with the dns servers, been trying to get the correct setup for weeks! :(