• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Choosing the best OS and tools.

B

belyakov

Hello,

We would like to install the new version of Plesk software on a new box. So before that we would like to ask for a competent advise on the some questions that follow.

Operating system
We would like it to be a Linux system, so the question is - what is the best one to choose, what is the one that cooperates with Plesk better.

The tools
We would like to have some server monitoring and service tools such as: package manager/installer, email monitoring (queue tools, incoming/outgoing monitoring), traffic monitoring per client/domain (we would like to measure both incoming and outgoing), health, performance and maintenance tools.

So what tools can you recommend to install to accomplish this tasks? We would appreciate any opinion on the topic, so thanks in advance for your time.

Dmitry.

CentOS 5 for the OS, its by far the most widely used platform for plesk. It also has a 7 year support cycle, which is ideal for business use.

For package management, it uses yum.

CentOS 5 for the OS, its by far the most widely used platform for plesk. It also has a 7 year support cycle, which is ideal for business use.

For package management, it uses yum.

O hi ART, it's a pleasure to get a message from you!
Thanks for reply.

And maybe you can suggest some tools for server maintanance and monitoring? Like measuring traffic and dealing with emails?

Dmitry.

For maintenance, thats a big subject. :p If you mean maintaining updates and things like that, its all done with yum. That handles downloading the updates/new packages as well as their dependencies automatically.

For monitoring, I use Zenoss (www.zenoss.com). There are a lot to choose from, Nagios is pretty popular, as well as Zabbix. My only advice here is to find one that you're most comfortable with, and to avoid any kind of java based monitoring system as they've proved to be very unreliable.

For backups, I use rdiff-backup. Acronis and R1soft are also excellent commerical backup prudcts.

For maintenance, thats a big subject. :p If you mean maintaining updates and things like that, its all done with yum. That handles downloading the updates/new packages as well as their dependencies automatically.

For monitoring, I use Zenoss (www.zenoss.com). There are a lot to choose from, Nagios is pretty popular, as well as Zabbix. My only advice here is to find one that you're most comfortable with, and to avoid any kind of java based monitoring system as they've proved to be very unreliable.

For backups, I use rdiff-backup. Acronis and R1soft are also excellent commerical backup prudcts.

Thank you very much for that. I will definitely try this software :)
Dmitry.

Back