• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Complete site logs?

A

AllenEllis

I'd like to get the full, raw logs for this month, and I can't seem to find out how to do it. I go to the "Log Manager" for my domain, and the "access log" file is only ~30kb, containing information for the last 24 hours or so. Is there a way that I can view complete, raw logs for the last month? Webalizer seems to be able to compile information - so it must be on the server somewhere (unless webalizer just grabs data as it arrives).

Thanks.

*edit*

I think I'm closer... I went to "report" for my domain and then to "traffic history" - now I can see my bandwidth totals for each month - but there don't seem to be any links to get more detailed listings. Am I missing something really obvious here? I feel kind of silly...

Thanks again.

Have you checked out the "access_log.processed files? Between them and the error logs you should have a complete picture. You also need to see how your log rotation is set. You may be deleting the access logs too frequently.

Unfortunatley all that I see are seven files

access_log
access_ssl_log
error_log
error_log.1
error_ssl_log
error_ssl_log.1
xferlog_regular

Log rotation was set to "disable". Does that mean it's been dropping log files as they come in? I've got it at "enable" now, with a maximum log files set to 0 (I'm guessing 0 will translate to unlimited?)

Thanks. :)

If anyone has an answer to this question, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks. :)

webalizer keeps track of the stats in the files webalizer.current and webalizer.hist. After webalizer has parsed the logfiles you don't need them anymore. The stats in Plesk do the same, they are calculated every night by the statistics cronjob.

If you have enabled logrotation you will see

access_log for the current day
access_log.processed for the running lograte period
access_log.processed.1.gz for the first rotated period
access_log.processed.2.gz for the second rotated period

Originally posted by eilko
After webalizer has parsed the logfiles you don't need them anymore.
Webalizer compiles data, but it also throws data out. There's no way to get a list of IP's and dates that have accessed a particular URL, for example. That's why I want the raw logs - I can run it through a PHP script or an Excel macro that can compile a list of IP's that have accessed a particular URL. Webalizer won't give me that - it only summarizes data.

Originally posted by eilko

If you have enabled logrotation you will see

access_log for the current day
access_log.processed for the running lograte period
access_log.processed.1.gz for the first rotated period
access_log.processed.2.gz for the second rotated period
Hm... I don't see that :(. Like I said, log rotation was turned off. I've got it on now (turned it on a couple of days ago), but I'm still only seeing a single access_log file.

So, does this mean that it hasn't been storing log files older than 24 hours? Isn't there anywhere on the server they're being stored for longer periods of time?

Thanks again.

I'm really close to an answer here - if someone can just reply to my last question I'll be set.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by AllenEllis

So, does this mean that it hasn't been storing log files older than 24 hours? Isn't there anywhere on the server they're being stored for longer periods of time?

Thanks again.

no, not that I am aware of.

I think what you want is to change the log rotation.

In the domain, choose Log Manager, then Log Rotation and change the Log Rotation Condition to By Time, Monthly. You may want to increase the Maximum Number of Log Files so you have more than just the current month.

Thanks - does anyone know, if I set the maximum number of log files to 0, will that make it unlimited? It doesn't seem to have been behaving that way. I'll bump it up to 99.

Back