1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Configuring customer backups

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation' started by TDub, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TDub

TDub Basic Pleskian

85%
    I noticed that the backup settings aren't available to configure in PPA for the web nodes. As such, the backup options are showing up to customers, but they're grayed out because I'm not able to configure them.

How many other features of Plesk admin are not yet added to PPA? And are there plans to make all the Plesk admin management features available within PPA admin?

2. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Regular Pleskian Plesk Team

57%
    Hi, TDub,
    Not really many. After we provided locales management for the admin and customer panels in the previous update, there are the following items on our list:

- Subscription backups. With the next update we'll provide a new node role - Backup Node - on which the backups repository will sit. We purposely removed the backup configuration from the current code, because its default creates repository on the management node, where Plesk resides, which is not good. Pointing to another FTP server as a backup repository requires manual configuration, so we decided to introduce a new node role instead.

- Configuring global settings for APS applications. You need to reach the Plesk AppVault screen for that. The screen is not exposed on the Admin panel yet, but you can access it via the Server tab on the hosting panel.

- Attaching additional webmail applications. It's available in Plesk, but not yet fully functional for PPA. The problem is that most of webmails accept a single connection parameter to the mail server. In PPA you may have several mail nodes, and we are thinking how to resolve this ambiguity.

- Setting vhost template, i.e. the directory structure of your website upon creation. You can use Server tab for that in the hosting panel.

- Same with DNS template for subscription.

This is what in our plans to be exposed on the Admin panel. We'd really appreciate the community help to identify what else is needed for the normal operations.

Regards,
    Andrey Andriatis

3. GregorL

GregorL Basic Pleskian

60%
    Andrew, I think Hsphere has solved this pretty well.
    A basic apache with PHP is installed on each mailserver.
    So each mail server contains its own webmail.
    It also helps to scale and remove a single point of failure. Since, if you have all customers going onto one webmail it may overload the mail server.
    We have seen customers opening 4GB mailboxes using webmail and it puts quite the load onto that server.

4. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Regular Pleskian Plesk Team

57%
    Hi, Gregor,
    Thanks for the advice. We'll think about distributing webmail load over the mail servers.