• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

conflict... in re-installation...

kadoudal

Regular Pleskian
I am trying to perform a Plesk 8.3 re-install after re-installing exim4 on my Debian 4 etch.. (I know not the best thing to do..)

and I get stuck with this error :

Unpacking psa-courier-imap (from .../psa-courier-imap_3.0.8-debian4.0.build83071218.18_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/psa-courier-imap_3.0.8-debian4.0.build83071218.18_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/sbin/userdbpw', which is also in package courier-authlib-userdb
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/psa-courier-imap_3.0.8-debian4.0.build83071218.18_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I am lost.. don't want to reinstall the all server

OK that's what I did... the imap connection is ok (I can see in the qmail maillog)
but the smtp service is NOT running and doesn't start even if required in the Plesk server console... if any error I should see it in a log... but which one ?

As I know, smtp works via superserver(inetd/xinetd). Check 25 port with telnet/lsof or try to restart it.

telnet 88.191.202.40 25
Trying 88.191.202.40...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

that's the problem...

Ensure that plesk entries are located in /etc/inetd.conf - it looks like:

smtp stream tcp nowait.1000 root /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
smtps stream tcp nowait.1000 root /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
submission stream tcp nowait.1000 qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env /usr/bin/env

if it contains other smtp/smtps records remove it and reinstall qmail via apt-get install --reinstall psa-qmail. Also if you have xinetd superserver check that runs
with -inetd_compat options - in /etc/defaults/xinetd. Also check /var/log/daemon.log for log messages from superserver.

thanks for your help

1- in /etc/inetd.conf I had
submission stream tcp nowait.1000 qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env /usr/bin/env SUBMISSION=1 SMTPAUTH=1 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true

change the content of teh file as stated..

2- I reinstalled psa-qmail OK

3- don't have xinetd superserver conf !!
/var/log/daemon.log
Feb 5 12:38:40 sd-3397 xinetd[2699]: open( /etc/xinetd.conf ) failed: No such file or directory (errno = 2)
Feb 5 12:38:40 sd-3397 xinetd[2699]: 2699 {init_services} couldn't get configuration. Exiting...

Looks like you somehow lost your /etc/xinetd.conf, it must looks like:

defaults
{

}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

after creation restart xinetd

thanks a lot !!! SMTP server (qmail) is now running...
I don't understand why the conf file disappeared ...
and of course I was lost between inetd and xinetd
as a developper (on Mac.. where the OS is hidden..) I am very aware of the internals of OS... just learning... but progressing

Back