• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Convert Plesk to VMware?

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
I've moved a lot of my physical servers over to VMware and have been thinking/wondering about doing the same thing with my 8.x plesk installation. Has anyone else done this?

Mike

Can you tell me how things have gone?

I am trying to understand the difference between buying the VMware version (not sure there's a cost to change over?) vs converting my physical machine to a guest.

Also, my machine is linux and has a two drive RAID1 setup so I need to get past that in order to clone the drive as well.

Mike

Its really easy to migrate to a virtual server (Virtuozzo, vmware, etc), I just use the migration manager to do it. Run the two boxes in parallel, and you dont have to worry about any downtime when you're doing it.

Don't I have to upgrade or purchase something? If not, I'd love to do that and take advantage of the virtual environment I've built.

Mike

I also run my plesk on VMWare server although i was unable to convert the physical Linux (Centos) install to a virtual machine, the plesk migration was a breeze but i had to get my plesk license resent. If you are using ESX converting your physical machine should be possible.

I like the idea of simply installing a new distro then migrating it across. I usually contact them before I make such changes so that I have my license handy. If that's all it takes, I think I'm going to get on it soon.

Thanks for the input folks!

Mike

Back