• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Correct way to do reverse dns PTR records with multiple domains

amandler

Basic Pleskian
Hi folks -- can someone illuminate me as to the "correct" way to setup reverse DNS records when one has multiple domains on a single IP, such as is (usually) the case with Plesk? The default in-addr.arpa file that Plesk creates contains a separate entry for each domain hosted, which in our case is several hundred, all in a single file. However, SOME mail servers end up rejecting messages from our customers because they fail a reverse DNS test. NuVox.com is an example. Their engineers say the long laundry list of multiple domains per single IP is causing the problem. Is there another, better way to set this up?

Many thanks!

Thanks

Thanks for that. I received the same information from someone else, and edited the in-addr.arpa file to include a single entry for the IP address that hosts many domains. This resolved all the rDNS problems we were having with other email servers.

Of course, everytime a domain is edited in Plesk it rebuilds all the in-addr.arpa files, so I had to create a script to check periodically and copy the fix back.

This information should be widely disseminated since the default Plesk behavior is simply wrong.

Another fix would be to remove the PTR record from each domains' DNS as well as from the template. This would allow you to have everything operating the way it should without having to do a "dirty" cheat to get it going again.

PTR Records

yes, you're right. I've begun that process, but there are lots of domains to edit.

I could not see how to tell the template that it should not put in a ptr record. Help on that would be appreciated.

Login into plesk
click on server under system in the left hand colum then the DNS Icon
You will get the DNS Zone Template
Place a check mark next to the PTR record and remove it.

I would think you would only want to do these from the top level, but as I see above, I believe a reverse entry is auto-created for each A recorded within a domain, kind of stupid that it doesn't do a check against the current reverse zone to see if there is already an entry for it. I personally handle reverse DNS on a seperate set of dns servers outside of Plesk. I do not want my customers to be able to screw with reverse DNS, for obvious reasons.

Thx
James

newbie question

where is the in-addr.arpa file so I can edit it?

HEllo,

Creating ptr records / domain basis is a usless procedure.
You only need one ptr and that is for the sending ip of your mailserver.

Back