• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

custom error messages

P

pmars

I've renamed my error messages 403, 404, etc... to the names my server uses, like "forbidden.html" and "not_found.html" and swapped them with the server ones. It doesn't work... what am I doing wrong

Thanks in advance for any insite

Pete

Use the 'locate' command to find all copies of the files and replace all of them. You did not specify if you replaced them just for a single domain, or the skeleton, or whatever...

I swapped them out with my FTP program. I looked in the skeleton area, but no way to remove or replace them with the control panel.

I'm not going anywhere near one of those telnet or ssh deals. I would like to replace them just for one domain since they are made in dreamweaver specifically to match the site.

Pete

Yes, you would have to use either FTP or SSH (or Telnet, yuck). SSH can be used as long as you have the latest update version, and use a good SSH client. Safer than regular ftp.

You will find the skeleton files in /home/httpd/vhosts/.skel/
but since you only want the single domain, you don't have to worry about those skels.

You can upload a new skel tar/gz file through the CP.

The Plesk CP has many limitations..., but we must be suckers for abuse since we keep using it and paying them for the privilege...lol

Back to your problem, so you already replaced the original files with your own. Seems silly, but did you make *sure* you had the same exact filenames? Including case sensitive lettering?

And did you restart Apache after you did it?

And make sure your browser cache has been cleared.

Back