• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DCOM error Dr. Web

J

jtheisen

A funky thing happend at 44 seconds past midnight last night:

I have an event log filled to the brim with this error:
The launch and activation security descriptor for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B7FF909-F525-4F67-AC61-B74ED9BEB9D8}
is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I follow the "help" on this I get this:
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 10021
Source: DCOM
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_COM_INVALID_SERVER_ACTIVATION_SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR
Message: The launch and activation security descriptor for the COM Server application with CLSID {} is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

Explanation
A program, the Clsid displayed in the message, tried to start the DCOM server by using the DCOM infrastructure. However the permission associated with the DCOM Server was not correctly set up.

User Action
Verify that the user has the appropriate permissions to start the DCOM server.

To assign permissions

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services.
In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer, and double-click DCOM Config.
In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.
On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box, select Customize, and then click Edit.
Add the user to the permissions list, and give the user the appropriate permissions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I tracked it down to Dr. Web Anti virus
The only user that was in there was "everyone" and it had no permissions set, so i set them, i also added the administrator and the plesk admin in there, at first glace in the event log I got this:

The COM+ System Application service entered the running state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and then this:
The COM+ System Application service was successfully sent a start control.

and then the DCOMM error again...................

1) anyone seen this and if so WFT is going on
2) How in gods name are you to know if dr web actually works or not, there no config, GUI or anything

I have the application pack for Plesk and all updates to 7.03

Thanks in advance

I'm seeing the same error with 7.5.3 on win2k3 - did you find a solution?

My Solution

My solution was to ditch DR. Web 100% - disabling the service and installing Clam AV.

Which I might add, seems to work, or at least it tells me when something happens like finding a virus, so I know it's doing something.

I am not sure how or why Dr. Web would die like that but it did.

This is the version I got working:
http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32/

Be careful, there are other clam av out there that plesk will not see, like clam mail, i do not reccomend using that one, it stops your webmail from working on all clients.

BTW If anyone does ever figure theis DCOM thing out, or has a clue as to what might be going on, be a sport, let us know..The plesk forums are practicly bare on any decent help.

Jim

Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a shot. Have you found any other boards that discuss plesk and its idiosyncrasies?

Alternate help

Pretty much just google the problem and belive it or not the Cpanel forums are of great help if the problem is not based on a plesk problem, but more towards windows and web serving.
In this instance however it was microsoft that directed me to the actual problem, no fix, but at least pointed me in the right direction.

I have encountered several severe problems with this software, almost enough to make me migrate outta here.

I do understand that not all software is 100% and there will always be bugs, but the lack of documentation and or help with this is my biggest problem..

GL see ya round

Jim

Fixed

Go into the Component Services -> DCOM Config, right click on "DrWebCom", choose the "Security Tab" and for "Launch and Activate Permissions" click "Default".

Back