• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Debian 4.0 released

H

Hal9000

Debian etch 4.0 has been released today!
Can I safelly make a dist-upgrade to this distro while having Plesk 8.1.1 installed, or do I need to wait for SWsoft to release a debian 4.0 version?

Anyone knows anything about when SWsoft will support Etch, or how long they typical are to add support for new releases such as Etch?

Debian Etch Stable

I've actually had some people upgrade their Plesk servers to etch accidently as their sources.list was only refering to stable.

I haven't tried, but I don't think you can downgrade just by modifying your sources.list

Added information

Sorry, I didn't mention that it seems to have broken their Plesk.

Most have just reinstalled to sarge.

Originally posted by breun
A couple of months probably.

I wonder what takes them so long. In my opinion it doesn't look like they test their software extensively. Just look at the Debian problems with Awstats, not running crontabs, etc.

Balu

Couldn't agree more - it's incredible when taking in to consideration how many clients they have got and how expensive their product is.

Currently the autoinstaller doesn't work with debian and the debian folder on http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_8.1.1/ has simply been forbidden :( I guess they have done this to avoid the large amount of clients screwing up when mixing debian etch and plesk, but apparently they forgot to consider those clients running Sarge. We have a client who should have had his server installed yesterday with Sarge/Plesk, but now we can't deliver it in time due to this little stunt :(

Anyone knows a solution?

I've just noticed that myself. The "Updater" in Plesk itself did not show a thing, so I went to search for a possible cause.

After I've changed all "stable" to "sarge" in /etc/apt/sources.list to avoid upgrading to etch and doing an apt-get update it resulted in

Failed to fetch http://autoinstall.plesk.com/debian/PSA_8.1.0/dists/sarge/all/binary-i386/Packages.gz 403 Forbidden

Now, this really bothers me once again. I will surely never again promote Plesk to any of my customers again. :-(

Balu

It'd be nice ...

It'd would be nice if Plesk could manage the sources.list file and modify it for us, making sure this doesn't happen.

But all these problems are arising from people confusing "stable" and "sarge" (and apt-get now knowing different to us)

I wrote an quick article in my wiki, hoping google will grab it and show it for people thinking of doing a dist-upgrade.

Here's hoping people see that before they end up with this problem.

Originally posted by sunech
Anyone knows a solution?

Yeah. there is a solution.

Not so long ago plesk already disabled debian-support in their plesk.inf3-file temporarly.
So I created a subdomain on another server (u can also use the same server) and put all the updates onto that subdomain manually. I do not exactly remember how i mamaged to get the files from plesk. Maybe i extracted them from the full archive u can download from http://www.swsoft.com/en/download or i got them by using wget for each file. Sorry.
Then i changed the settings in plesk updater (server > updater > plesk update source) to the subdomain and it works.
U can also change the settings for the autoinstaller on a blank server
Code:
/opt/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller
by using command line arguments. U need to use
Code:
--source-type <plesk|local|network>
and
Code:
--source <url>
as additional arguments.
If u check out usage for autoinstaller with
Code:
/opt/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --help
then u will see that there is another way which i did not try out yet:
Code:
--add-source <type,priority,url[,user,envvar with password]>
There are some examples shown in the help output. Give it a try.

Bye for now

Jens

jkrenkers,

what is your server from where i could try installing plesk on debian4? Hopefully it works :)

Originally posted by biwwy
jkrenkers,

what is your server from where i could try installing plesk on debian4? Hopefully it works :)

Right now u cannot install plesk on debian4. Read the other posts regarding plesk 8.1.1 and debian4. be patient and wait for another release of plesk (maybe 8.2) working for debian4 aka etch.

Bye for now

Jens

Back