• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

debian 5.0 support when ?

Hi all!

I tried to install plesk 9 on a debian 5 (Lenny) system. i failed... could not go on with the installation..

I installed plesk 9 on debian 4 (etch) and upgraded it to 5.

Without success.... still failed. after the upgrade plesk wasn't working anymore...

Is there someone who can tell me when plesk works with Debian 5 (Lenny) ?

Thanks!

Regards,

John

Debian 5 is not yet supported by Plesk. For now only following versions of Debian and Ubuntu are supported:

http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/plesk-9.0.1-for-deb-based-os.html

Parallels Plesk Panel 9.0.1 for Unix requires one of the following OS installed on your computer:

* Debian 3.1
* Debian 4.0
* Ubuntu 6.06
* Ubuntu 7.10
* Ubuntu 8.04

There is already feature request created for our developers concerning Debian 5 support but we can not say for sure when such support will be released.

Ok why do you think I reply'd on this thread ??

i'm waiting for plesk support on debian 5, and thats where this thread is for.

Not for your useless nonsense which we already know..

Post has been deleted

I deleted the post, i just tried to be informative but some people dont like that ;)

even If nobody can supply is with a fixed release date, would it be possible to provide us with some kind of time frame?

Are we talking about 1 month, 3 months or 6 months? For me this is vital information atm. ... Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I'd say, the plesk team changes ist whole plans. They try to migrate to postfix, and I think they are not sure whether they'll support debian 5 at any time.

The guys in their development team don't waste time for new modules or bugfixing, no they implemented a new webserver for plesk itself which is without any sense.

Yesterday I wrote the guys at Parallels some bugs. F.e. Acronis webinterface is not working anymore on Plesk 9 with debian, because they have a error. I found the error (one ") and I told them how to resolv it - I thought they would announce a bugfix to correct the bug.

Nothing: 500 of our customers have no backup image anymore, and Parallels is not responding at one time. Then I asked a guy of their sales team and he told me, that he alone received round 100 calls because of the bugs in the new system.

So don't try to get Debian 5 support, think it will take them another 6 months for minimum!

Ys
Manuel

wow Thanks Manuel! I hope your post doesnt get erased, its very informative

I assume the new "Plesk Linux Distro" will have the same quality support as Plesk itself? :D ok enough cynism... :(

I guess i'll look around for an alternative or just scrap customer-self management alltogether cheaper to higher a second admin for support then always solve this stupid **** which pretty much needs another person due to workload anyhow.
I assume asking for oppinions on alternate solutions is banned in these forums... ?

Hi Manfred,

I have to say, that I like Plesk really much and I use it for a couple of years now. I used alternative products too, but plesk is really a good thing. So I don't like to say, Plesk's ****... Because the guys who develope the tool are also only people and mistakes are normal in life.

But if Parallels tries to get successfull, they should work on bugfixes and they should bring them out faster. I still got no answer from the parallels teams, and I don't know what to do, but what I know is that I have many unsatisfied customers because they still have no Acronis.

Maybe I should take some time and develop my own "Plesk". Without bugs. :)

Hey Manuel,

i never said Plesk was ****... I've been using it for ~5 years now and I'm definately not mad at any developers. I just have the feeling that there is something amiss when it takes so long to develop a new version for an OS (which came out 2 months ago, and the release date was known) I have the feeling money is being saved at wrong ends when customers are left stranded like me. I'm talking about the management not the dev or support team. Most of all i have not found any official statements to provide basic information on how to plan and that dissapoints me the most. Usually those are the first signs Open Source projects begin to fail and though I'm not that worried with Plesk it still gives me the impression something is going wrong.

There have been many open-source Projects for Plesk-like interfaces (if you want to develop your own, maybe join one :) ) but a) its a lot of work and b) they have never been reliable in the long run which is why I have been pretty much happy with Plesk - it was (somewhat) reliable. I've had to reinstall many times because the autoupdate messed something up, but since it was fixable I can live with that. Im just annoyed :p and I would hate to see it fall apart because the company puts its focus on other Projects. :(

Hi Manfred,

sorry if it looked like I'm angry against you! I think it's good to have some people to talk about the situation and I don't want to criticize you. :)

I don't have time to waste for own projects and I'm happy that the moderator team also allows posts "against parallels".
But the most important thing for me is, at the moment, that parallels fixes the "small bugs" in Plesk 9 - most things are working after the update to 9.0.1 anyway on my servers.

Another question: You're from germany?

manuel :)

As soon as I can find the spare time I'll get a new server, this time with Redhat if that gets better support... i guess I'll keep one server with debian for more server-specific stuff like Tomcat or specific datbases like SAPDB - but I havent really needed any of those things anyway in the last 2 years. Its been easy enough to satisfy customers with php solutions ;) so why take the hard way... :p

Hi Manfred,
Another question: You're from germany?

yes :)

hi!

one thing i love at debian servers is the aptitude package manager and the stable updates.
We've used SuSE here over years and there hasn't been one update without problems (many in case of FrontPage - but our clients needed FrontPage at this time and so we had no choice whether removing it or not)

RedHat is very good, I also use it for some tools but I think that Debian is really great and I hope parallles will wake up from the "winter-sleep" and do something for enabling the support :)

Manuel

Hi,

Could we at least have an answer on the status for Debian 5.
if parallel decide to take 6month to release it for debian, no point to wait for them.

that's really a sad support from parallel

Still not lenny ?

Now nearly 1 year later still no Debian Lenny support

Why not !

You support the newer versions of Fedora which is pointless as they have a pathetic support life, by the time you support a version they often have little or no support left.

Please sort it out and support Lenny (before the next debian version comes out ) - What is the point of supporting out of date systems?

Now nearly 1 year later still no Debian Lenny support

Why not !

You support the newer versions of Fedora which is pointless as they have a pathetic support life, by the time you support a version they often have little or no support left.

Please sort it out and support Lenny (before the next debian version comes out ) - What is the point of supporting out of date systems?

Debian Lenny is supported already. What is wrong with it?

IgorG as i told you some time ago, no one has realised it, it was added without any information ...

i know it is announced there, but all peoples have read this document when 9.3.2 was relased and at this moment it was not in there!

i know it is announced there, but all peoples have read this document when 9.3.2 was relased and at this moment it was not in there!

Right, because Debian Lenny was not supported at that time. But now it is possible to select Debian Lenny for Plesk installation when new our client will read this document.

Back