• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Debian installer?

_tek

Basic Pleskian
Looking to isntall this on Debian Sarge release, i have just downloaded the redhat enterprise3 release of plesk and am going to give it a try with alien. Need debian support though and had read somewhere in the formums it was already working. Wish i had confirmed that. Looks like i might have to get a refund if this doesn't work.

Alien progress

Ok, from what i been reading Plesk has been talking about debian support for quite a while now but it appears to have somewhat of a vaporware presence. It is with that thought that i am writing this.

Let me also say I do not expect this to work at all or be usable but i will be damned if that is going to prevent me from trying it. If for no other reason than to show sw-soft that we are serious about wanting debian to be a supported installation platform.

So far i have downloaded the Redhat ES3.0 version of plesk (which i have a copy of but i need this to run on debian, not redhat) and extracted all of the files and run alien on everyone of them. So far only j2sdk-1_4_2-linux-i586.rpm file has not rendered a .deb file.

I have built the debian system and upon getting all of the required packages installed i have run mondoarchive to use as my baremetal recovery disk. If at some point during this test i have a nonrecoverable error i can easily take it back to square one and i will do many different backups with mondo along the way to give me snapshots at various points of this "doomed to fail" test.

I will also probably try this with the fedora version of plesk.

Don't know what to expect other than pain and suffering but what the hell, gotta scratch that itch no matter how much it hurts to do so.
Besides to truly learn how something works you usually have to first break it open.

Crazy huh?

base packages install

all of the psa base packages install easily enough, not that i really expect any of them work. (havent tested anything yet). Only gotcha's so far is exim4-daemon-light is installed by default and this conflicts with psa-qmail_1.03-1_i386.deb. Also removing exim4-daemon-light removes mysql-server which is definely required.

I will have to work around that issue since installing mysql-server brought exim4 along with it.

opt/bu installs without issues but the opt/mail/perl-text-iconv package conflicts with libtext-iconv-perl, i have left this file in and not using the psa one, not sure if that is good or bad but trying to remove the one and install the psa packaged on still failed so we will be finding out soon enough.

Also had issues with rpm_RedHat_el3/opt/perl/perl-html-tree_3.16-61_all.deb. Each of these has issues with a debian provided package.

I know i already have a broken system, be nice to know if these packages are different or if the debian provided packages would work, perhaps that is where i start with round two.

_tek , I hope you found out that this is not the way...

swsoft, I hope _tek is a good example about how desperate people can become. I think you can save peoples lives with a PSA Debian version.

I hope to be able to download a (beta) version soon.

_tek, I am interested to know if your plesk on debian install is running or not. I have 2x debian servers and I am patiently waiting for the debian-friendly version of plesk. However, if you have any tips on how I could get plesk to work on Debian sooner, it will be very appreciated. I also have 1x FreeBSD 4.11, 1x FreeBSD 5.3 and 1x RH7.3 - all currently using the web-cp control panel. I plan on switching all servers to debian as soon as plesk is available for it.

Plesk on Debian

I was able to convert all but one of the plesk packages and install them but ran out of time trying to get it working, i have 35 servers i need to migrate right now and we are moving them to debian and will just have to do the virtualhosting part manually at this point. SUPPOSEDLY plesk for debian will be available at the end of this month or so i have been told. I might also have been told this because they want me to sign to be a partner.

If they come through on time i will probably sign up, if they do not hit their date i will start looking for other options. While i like plesk i care more about being able to do this with debian than being able to do this with plesk.

The ball is in their court.
If and when i have more free time i will start hacking around on plesk to get it to work with debian. i do not care about support as i support myself and all of our customers without anyones help. Be nice to have a official debian installer for plesk though.
Tnt :cool:

Back