• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

default bashrc file

W

wardjame

I use the shell a lot to log in and perform quick tasks for my various clients. Is there a single location where I can edit the bashrc file used for these logins? The default prompt and colors are driving me nuts.

I would also like to setup a default .vimrc for all users since I frequently use vim to make quick changes.

Thanks in advance.

These clients are all on the same server I presume? You could just move up to root and set your settings in the root account. Or you could edit /etc/bashrc and /etc/vimrc to set system-wide bash and vim settings (which can be overridden using .bashrc and .vimrc files in the user's homedirs).

how can we allow the users to create the person .bashrc files since the users homedir are not writable by default?

are we to always use root to create them and chowning the file to the appropriate user?

I'm adraid so. Or maybe you can add .bashrc and .vimrc files to the skeleton so they are created when a new domain is created.

Back