• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Deleting a users email

K

kdrerup

Does anyone know if there is a better to deleted mail out of a user's mailbox. Currently I login in via webmail as the user and delte the mail that way. At the rate of 25 emails at a time this can be very tedious. On our old server I use to us mutt to access mailboxes and it was easy to delete mail then.

Any help would be apprecated.

You could delete via shell from /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com/mailboxname/

Ok I get to the directory then what do I do? I just want to delete several email that he has in the mailbox. Do I use vi to open his mailbox. I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I am just starting to learn Linux.

Every file is an email, you can view the email with less, more, cat or similar then delete the appropriate ones with rm.

We I go to the mailbox name and do an ls all I see are three files@attachments, maildir, and user_prefs. No email.

Maildir is a directory, if you enter the directory you'll find some more config files, and directories. Enter the directories and you can delete the email.

I thank you for your patience and help. When I get to the mailbox and try to to a cd maildir. It will not let me. When I do an ls maildir is blue in color. does that mean the file is lock or do I have to use another command to get into it.

Again Thanks for you help.

Blue is probably telling you it's a directory. Are you logged in as root? What exactly happens when you try to enter the directory?

I got in it. It is case sensitive. Now once I am in it I see the following courierimapkeywords, courierimapuiddb, courierpop3dsizelist, cur, new, tmp. Which one do i go into next?

Go into the "Cur" directory and do a:

find -type f | xargs rm -f

I just had to delete 20,000 emails from a box this way. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE CUR DIRECTORY WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!

Back