• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Difference between SiteBuilder and Plesk Professional Web Site Editor

N

nuedge

Hi
Any expert here know the Difference between SiteBuilder and Plesk Professional Web Site Editor?
I am thinking of acquiring them but do not really know the difference.
Which is better?
Any comments and experience to share is much appreciated.
Thank you for your attention.

SiteBuilder is a fast, easy to use design tool that includes hundreds of business or personal specific site templates for building and creating a website with limited HTML knowledge. Its browser based and a separate application installation than that of Plesk even though it can be installed on a Plesk server. As we know it can also be installed on a stand alone system that meets certain requirements.

System Requirements for SiteBuilder installation

Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core 1 (The other Plesk operating systems are in development including Debian)

Apache web server 2 or higher
PHP version 4.2 or higher
Sablotron
MySQL (3.22 or higher)
GnuGP
unzip
PHP extensions:
CURL
DOM XML
GD2
iconv
XSLT

Plesk Professional Website Editor is an integrated HTML editing tool that does not include template design and build functionality. Once a website is published the PPWSE is a fast capable editing tool that can be accessed directly from the Plesk interface. This is an efficient way of changing non-database driven content for the smaller website. (Note: Our Website is stretching it a little with the add-on description) I think I wrote the description based on information given to me at the time. It needs to be updated… PPWSE is installed only on Plesk systems as an ADD-On.

So here is a quick list of differences…

1.PPWSE requires a Plesk installation / SiteBuilder does not but it can be installed on a Plesk for Linux server.
2. SiteBuilder is web-based and can publish sites to any location in the world / PPWSE is Plesk based (add-on) and can only publish to the domain it’s being used on.
3. SiteBuilder is more design oriented / PPWSE is more editing oriented even though there is a design mode but not with templates. So if you had a fair understanding of Website design you could use PPWSE to build a site it’s just not as efficient as the templated SiteBuilder tool.
4. PPWSE can create and edit sites to be published to a specific Plesk Domain / SiteBuilder allows remote site creation and then publishing to any domain on any system via FTP.
5. SiteBuilder can NOT edit an existing site. So users can’t bring their existing sites into the program as a template or convert and existing site into a SiteBuilder editable site / PPWSE can do this exactly… Once the site is published to Plesk all files and folders in the website are available to the PPWSE for editing.

So essentially these 2 products are different even though much of their functionality overlaps… simply because they both deal with Website code... However the SiteBuilder tools are geared more toward non-technical users and design, whereas the PPWSE is more of an editing tool and geared toward HTML familiar users. The PPWSE interface is easy to use because it looks Microsoft-ish and is icon driven buts nature lends itself to a user that has some experience with website code.

I hope this helps you with these two tools.

Regards,

Clarifications

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply.
It has been very detailed and helpful.
Just to clarify one issue: So currently SiteBuilder is only available on the 2 Linux OS that you have just mentioned in your reply. As of now, there are no support for Redhat Enterprise 3?

The requirements stated that we need some of the following:
Sablotron
GnuGP
unzip
PHP extensions:
CURL
DOM XML
GD2
iconv
XSLT

May I ask what are they and are they obtainable from anywhere else and at how much cost?

I am asking because I wish to know how much I will need to spend to invest in the SiteBuilder.

Hope you can enlighten me.
Thank you for your time and attention.

Re: Clarifications

Originally posted by nuedge
Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply.
It has been very detailed and helpful.
Just to clarify one issue: So currently SiteBuilder is only available on the 2 Linux OS that you have just mentioned in your reply. As of now, there are no support for Redhat Enterprise 3?

The requirements stated that we need some of the following:
Sablotron
GnuGP
unzip
PHP extensions:
CURL
DOM XML
GD2
iconv
XSLT

May I ask what are they and are they obtainable from anywhere else and at how much cost?

I am asking because I wish to know how much I will need to spend to invest in the SiteBuilder.

Hope you can enlighten me.
Thank you for your time and attention.

SiteBuilder is abailable for Redhat Enterprise 3 now. Please visit to <a href="http://sw-soft.com/en/download/sitebuilder">SiteBuilder download page</ a>

All requirements is available on Linux distributiv disk or as PHP extensions.

Back