• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Directory Indexes

M

MaRiOs

Is there any way through the panel to fix the directory indexes ? ( if some wants to have as default file an portal.php or something like that....) cause till now I putting these by hand..

Originally posted by MaRiOs
Is there any way through the panel to fix the directory indexes ? ( if some wants to have as default file an portal.php or something like that....) cause till now I putting these by hand..

No!

But I'm sure you could write a script to do it and then enabling a custom button in the CP to do the job or something like that.

Just as you would modify the main httpd.conf file to add index.php and index.html to the DirectoryIndex line, you could also do the same for portal.php.

This would affect all domains on the server, assuming they have a portal.php and NO index.* files in their docroot.

Another option would be to have the client put a dummy index.html file which redirects to whatever file they want. This way it is domain specific.

I wouldnt like to change httpd.conf cause
that would have global effect as you said.

and the redirection option is ok but not so good...

A button with a custom script would be better..

I'm not 100% but I don't think that the index config line is in httpd.conf I think it is stored in the individual include file which is generated from plesk on the fly.

I wouldnt like to change httpd.conf cause
that would have global effect as you said.

and the redirection option is ok but not so good...

A button with a custom script would be better..

that just make sense... if you put portal.php at the end.. well this site will suffer from having its index entry at the end... :p

just make a .htaccess file with the following

Code:
DirectoryIndex portal.php

then portal.php will be considered the choice file for DirectoryIndex

forgot to say.. you place this file in the httpdocs folder of the site... or whatever folder ( if its not website's root.. )

jspilon thank you for your instruction but I allready know how to do this.
The problem is that my customers dont,
and if they pay for such an automatic panel like plesk it sounds kinda stupid to tell them "hey there is no way to do it, just make the .htaccess file yourself"

jspilon thank you for your instruction but I allready know how to do this. The problem is that my customers dont,
and if they pay for such an automatic panel like plesk it sounds kinda stupid to tell them "hey there is no way to do it, just make the .htaccess file yourself"

Why is that stupid? You don't have a Control Panel to solve every solution a customer wants - and I can't see why this is so important to you. It's IMHO not normal to run a website that's not initiated through a index.php (or any other standard index.htm[l], index.cgi, index.phtml, index.shtml etc.) file.

I think that - if you don't know how to make a simple shell script to make the change for you (create the .htaccess file with the info) - then you maybe should write it in a support faq how they put the DirectoryIndex option in a .htaccess file or simply redirect from a index.php to the non standard index file.

But if it's so important to you - it should not take you more than max 5 minuts to look at the custom buttons function and write a call to a php script or shell file that'll do the job for you.

[Edited] - removed my post, was going to suggest the custom buttons as Whistler has just done.

Originally posted by Whistler
Why is that stupid? You don't have a Control Panel to solve every solution a customer wants
it's stupid cause its must be something very easy for them to make it real, and cause If you have worked in the past with other panels like Sphere you would have seen how handy that could be.

I think that - if you don't know how to make a simple shell script to make the change for you (create the .htaccess file with the info)
I know tha I can accomplish some things using the buttons and other stuff, the reason of this post was 1.to ask if there is a way that I havent noticed yet 2.to see if any other had done any script that he could pass to me.

But if it's so important to you - it should not take you more than max 5 minuts to look at the custom buttons function and write a call to a php script or shell file that'll do the job for you.
Its not so important,but it would save me time! thats why all these automatic things on the panels exist :)

Originally posted by MaRiOs it's stupid cause its must be something very easy for them to make it real, and cause If you have worked in the past with other panels like Sphere you would have seen how handy that could be.

But the lack of people standing in line to provide you with their custom solution, should maybe tell you that your request isen't the most asked feature.

I think I could mention about 50 other things I would see Sw-Soft spend time implementing or improving than the possibility to make a custom .htaccess file to change DirectoryIndex. I really think this is so simple to do by hand (or script) that it should be no problem for either you as hosting provider or your customers to solve.

I also think that if a website/application relys on a custom DirectoryIndex directive in Apache - they should have written the .htaccess file with the distribution or at least have documented how to do it in their documentation - I can't imagine otherwise.

I know tha I can accomplish some things using the buttons and other stuff, the reason of this post was 1.to ask if there is a way that I havent noticed yet 2.to see if any other had done any script that he could pass to me.

I'll happy do the solution for you if you're gonna pay me - but as mentioned above, I think your request is so simple a task that you should be able to write it yourself within minutes.

Sometimes people need to understand this is not a giftshop where you write for custom solutions and people just sit around waiting to post their scripts and applications for free. Sometimes someone posts a free solution and sometimes you have to do the work yourself or pay someone to do it :)

And I bet you - this request is not on the top 100 list of most wanted Plesk features ;o)

Sometimes people need to understand this is not a giftshop where you write for custom solutions and people just sit around waiting to post their scripts and applications for free. Sometimes someone posts a free solution and sometimes you have to do the work yourself or pay someone to do it :).

You for first need to understand:
1.I never ordered any one to make this for me, 2.I would give freely any of the scripts i've made for myself (and some with the help of guys from this forum) if some one would ask for them,thats why I asked too.

I still cant understand whats your problem with that. I didnt gave any command,or order or anything else to anyone in this forum.

And I bet you - this request is not on the top 100 list of most wanted Plesk features ;o)
If I was about to do a request for the future releases to the plesk team, I would either contact them or post this in the suitable Thread .

I did post a simple question, and some ppl told me their opinion, I dont understand why u turned it into the middle-east problem....

You for first need to understand: [...cut...]I still cant understand whats your problem with that. I didnt gave any command,or order or anything else to anyone in this forum.

But actally you did request it - you wrote just a couple of messages ago that it is stupid that you have to tell your customers that Plesk haven't written a utility to do what you want. You also compared it to Sphere and between the lines wrote - that if they could do it - Sw-Soft should also do it.

I just write - that I don't agree this is a feature Sw-Soft should spend many minutes solving -as it should take you no more than 5 minutes writing a solution that fits your exact needs using the already provided features of Plesk (custom buttons, possibility to use .htaccess files or even in vhost.conf etc.)

I did post a simple question, and some ppl told me their opinion, I dont understand why u turned it into the middle-east problem....

I don't have a problem - it seemed you had the problem when people diden't tell you what you wanted to hear - that you could easy solve the problem yourself - people even kindly told you that you should use .htaccess instead of trying to change your httpd.conf file. Then you start to "*****" about other Control Panels and what you can tell (or not tell) your customers.

If I'd written such a utility I would kindly have posted it here for you to use - but I haven't and it seems nobody else have - but maybe you'll get lucky and someone will write it and provide it here free of charge. I even myself considered writing it - just to show the proof of concept that it should take very little time to write.

Originally posted by Whistler
But actally you did request it - you wrote just a couple of messages ago that it is stupid

I said it is stupid since it seems handy and easy.
It was MY PERSONAL opinion.

You also compared it to Sphere and between the lines wrote - that if they could do it - Sw-Soft should also do it.
I DONT compare it with Sphere, comparing is like when u say "shpere is better cause It has this, plesk is bad cause it dont has this"
I said that cause I have clients who were using SPHERE before getting to plesk and they wondered.
Dont put your words into my mouth ok ?

I just write - that I don't agree this is a feature Sw-Soft should spend many minutes solving -as it should take you no more than 5 minutes writing a solution that fits your exact needs using the already provided features of Plesk (custom buttons, possibility to use .htaccess files or even in vhost.conf etc.)

Thats your opinion and I respect it!

And to finish this post, I dont want to argue,
and please if you find this thread useless (cause u say sw soft shouldnt make a feature like that, or cause its so easy to make it on your own) please stop replying to my useless thread.

I said that cause I have clients who were using SPHERE before getting to plesk and they wondered.
Dont put your words into my mouth ok ?

Actually I don't put any words in your mouth - you wrote - and I qoute you:

The problem is that my customers dont,

And to finish this post, I dont want to argue, and please if you find this thread useless (cause u say sw soft shouldnt make a feature like that, or cause its so easy to make it on your own) please stop replying to my useless thread.

But I don't find it useless - you're told how to solve your problem, we're talking about how to technically solve your problem and you just tell that it won't solve your problem doing it this or that way as you won't spend time doing the job and you can't tell your customers to do it themselves.

I always think its nice to hear about peoples needs for different kind of features as we all have very different kind of customers. I also think it's nice to hear how people think you should solve a problem as it should give a better insight in using the Plesk Control Panel. And don't get me wrong - I acknowlege your need for a solution - but I also think you should acknowlege the answers your getting about how to solve it - as you can't expect Plesk to solve every little request for customization your customers might have.

Back