1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Disable Mail services on Plesk web servers?

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.2 Distributed Services Topics (Mail, DNS, Databases)' started by SHGreg, Jan 13, 2008.

1. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

When you add a Cmail server, should you disable the SMTP Server, IMAP/POP3 Server & SpamAssassin on the Plesk web servers?

2. girin

girin Guest

Hi,

all these services will be up and running when you assign a Plesk server to a Cmail. So you should disable them manually.

3. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Thanks girin, I don't have the Cmail server yet, just checking a few things. So it is ok to disble these services on the Plesk web servers after the Cmail server has been added? I'm hoping to reduce some server load by disabling these services.

Does a Cmail user access webmail directly on the Cmail server?

4. girin

girin Guest

Yes, it's ok to disable these servers, they will be used on the Cmail server not on Plesk web server.

When Plesk web server is assigned to the Cmail server, the common "Mail" button will be disabled and the custom "Remote Mail" button will be added to the Plesk web server CP. And each time your customer presses the "Remote Mail" button he will be redirected to the Cmail CP.

5. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Why does it say 'Remote Mail'? I don't like that. What difference does it make to a Plesk user whether their host uses a local or remote mail server (why the need to make a point of pointing it out!)?

Does the 'Remote Mail' button appear under a 'Custom Buttons' heading?

When clicking on the button, does the remote page load in the existing window?

6. girin

girin Guest

Plesk Expand creates this button with such name. I don't know why :) I just say how it does.

Yes, "Remote Mail" button appears in the "Custom Buttons" area. So you can easily rename it.
    Yes, the remote page will be loaded in the same window.

7. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Thanks for the reply girin, I was questioning everyone and anyone, not just yourself ;)

Is the page loaded by the Cmail server identical to the regular Plesk mail page? Can we still disable buttons from a users view?

8. girin

girin Guest

You are wellcome ;)

Yes, the pages are identical.

I don't catch which buttons you want to disable?