• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS A vs CNAME vs *

matthew@

New Pleskian
Sorry for the repost on this - think it got lost at the end of an older thread about DNS...

jamesyeeoc said:

Host Record type Value
<domain>. NS ns1.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns2.<domain>.
<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
www.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
*.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"

Thanks for this post which I too have found helpful. However, I have a couple of things that I don't understand...

1. Assuming that you are using the same IP address for all, why create A records for webmail.<domain> and mail.<domain> as opposed to CNAMEs?

2. Given that you have a CNAME for *.<domain>, why do you also need ftp.<domain> and www.<domain>?

TIA, Matthew

First, the MX handler requires an A record. Then, in the above example you don't need A records for ftp and www, but they are recommended if you change IPs or for consistency purposes.

Originally posted by hardweb
First, the MX handler requires an A record. Then, in the above example you don't need A records for ftp and www, but they are recommended if you change IPs or for consistency purposes.

Aha, that makes sense now... thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Regards, Matthew

Back