• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS blacklist log info (qmail)

hgmichna

Basic Pleskian
I use a number of DNS blacklists in the Plesk mail server settings (with qmail), and altogether they work exceedingly well.

However, I would like to know which of the blacklist blocked how many emails. Any idea in which log file on the server I can find this information?

There is no any special log for blacklists. Therefore you can just analyse /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog with 'grep' and 'wc -l'

There is no any special log for blacklists. Therefore you can just analyse /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog with 'grep' and 'wc -l'
Thanks, but the file does not contain any information on which blacklist caused rejection. In fact, I could not find any information on mail rejections at all.

Any further ideas? Perhaps I should raise the loglevel for the module that does the blacklist processing, possibly rblsmtpd, but I could not find any configuration for it anywhere. Perhaps it is only configured through /etc/initd.d/smtp_psa, but again I'm pretty much in the dark here. Any hints are welcome.

Any blacklist's reject should be logged in maillog. For example:

Sep 21 21:02:05 pixelmaker2 qmail-queue-handlers[16384]: call_handlers: call executable = '/usr/local/psa/handlers/info/05-grey-INHFLI/executable'
Sep 21 21:02:05 pixelmaker2 greylisting filter[16386]: Starting greylisting filter...
Sep 21 21:02:05 pixelmaker2 greylisting filter[16386]: list type: black, from: mxpool01.ebay.com, match string: dsl|pool|broadband|hsd
Sep 21 21:02:05 pixelmaker2 qmail-queue-handlers[16384]:
handlers_stderr: REJECT

DEFER means that grey interval there.

Did you find similar lines in your maillog?

Any blacklist's reject should be logged in maillog. For example:

DEFER means that grey interval there.

Did you find similar lines in your maillog?
You are mistaking greylisting for blacklisting. The log sample shows greylisting, but I am talking about DNS blacklists, as the title shows.

My problem is that the log does not show any information about DNS blacklist processes at all.

That may be because the blacklist agent, apparently rblsmtpd, does not log, which would be bad.

The blacklist settings are on the server-wide mail preferences page and are labelled:

Switch on spam protection based on DNS blackhole lists
DNS zones for DNSBL service

If there is no meaningful log, then the server operator has no way to find out which blacklist works for him and which doesn't.

Operation of this option 'Switch on spam protection based on DNS blackhole lists' will be logged in maillog in case if you have Postfix as MTA but there is no any logging if you have Qmail MTA.

Have you looked at MagicSpam for Plesk yet?

Simple, easy to use module for Plesk, that already includes the blacklist subscriptions, and has full logging of all SPAM/HAM with all the tools to exempt certain IP's or customers from the checks if you wish. You can get it from the Parallels store, or for more info.. you can also visit http://www.magicspam.com

Simple, easy to use module for Plesk, that already includes the blacklist subscriptions, and has full logging of all SPAM/HAM with all the tools to exempt certain IP's or customers from the checks if you wish. You can get it from the Parallels store, or for more info.. you can also visit http://www.magicspam.com
Thanks, will look. Pondering the thought to upgrade the server and at the same time switch from Qmail to Postfix. Let's see how well Plesk handles the change.

Back